The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I retolexed my amp head from black to brown and the change in tone is amazing. I'm thinking of doing the same thing with the cab now.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Be careful what you use on the cab! Depending on the speakers it could really mess things up. If you have newer Celestions go with a tweed or brown but stay away from black!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think it works much the same way as how you car seems to drive way smoother after you pull out of the car wash.:smile:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Everyone knows that brown has a cooler tone then black....
That depends on what style of music you play, now doesn't it? Can you play "black metal" on a BROWN amp??? I didn't think so! ;-)

Personally I prefer the black "fuzzy carpet" covering: now *that's* serious tone!
:)

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I retolexed my amp head from black to brown and the change in tone is amazing. I'm thinking of doing the same thing with the cab now.
Ouch! I think I just snapped a rib! That's hilarious. That's it, I'm retolexing everything. Even my wife. lol!:banana:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Personally I prefer the black "fuzzy carpet" covering: now *that's* serious tone! :)
Just wait until it starts shedding in the spring.

·
Premium Member
17,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ouch! I think I just snapped a rib! That's hilarious. That's it, I'm retolexing everything. Even my wife. lol!:banana:
I almost sprayed a mouthful of coffee all over my monitor when I read this.... first thing this morning.

Thanks for a laugh that will last all day.:food-smiley-004:

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
I wish I had known this before. Now I regret not buying that snakeskin tolex covered Marshall clone that was being offered to me. I was wondering why I was told that someone wanted that amp badly and the main reason was because of the tolex. Didn't know it had that much effect on the amp.

·
Premium Member
16,566 Posts
Hmmm, we seem to view this as ridiculous, and yet people seem willing to believe many other equally (in my opinion) silly tone myths.

·
Premium Member
17,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was wondering why I was told that someone wanted that amp badly and the main reason was because of the tolex. Didn't know it had that much effect on the amp.
"Live and learn"....snakeskin has some very special mojo...be careful !!

(Psssst.....That is why it is so seldom seen.)

Dave

·
Registered
793 Posts
yeah some tone freaks on Harmony Central were talking about how $300 POWER CORDS are totally worth it cause they improve your tone... I just about cried when I read that...power cords, making a difference? I honestly don't think SRV or Jimi or any other guitar legend for that matter would give half a damn about the power cord they're using... Besides, wouldn't the power source have a much bigger effect than the power cord? Electricity runs through a bunch of wires before it reaches your socket, I honestly don't think that a power cord (which is like 2 feet long) is suddenly gonna "enhance" the electricity which already traveled through thousands of feet of wire to reach your socket in the first place. How in the world are the last 2 feet of wire going to make a difference?

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Coffee improves tone too i heard
Really!? Is that black or with cream or milk?... what about sugar!
:eek:

Let's not forget how the tolex on your guitar case also bleeds into the mojo of the guitar... and don't get me started on what the interior colour of the case does!! :2guns:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Guess I should have snapped up that green paisley Dual Showman when I had the chance.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts