The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I have this old Eko that my father-in-law gave us, and I would like to try to fix some stuff on it. First, there is deep divots on the fingerboard, mostly in the first few frets. A lot of Ds and Gs have been played on this guitar :) I know how to fix this, but where can I get some rosewood to fill up the holes? Should I simply get a cheap bridge and go frome there?

Secondly, the pickguard has been removed and there is glue remaining on the guitar's top. Is there a way to remove old glue like this?

Thanks!

Jonathan

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I would kindly suggest a look at the action and setup before attacking the rosewood, contemplate possibly a deeper fret level to reduce pitch change. A guitar I resurrected did need a fret job, a case where a neck re-radius could eliminate some of the the surface irregularities, if not all. How deep are these potholes you speak of ? Can you measure them?
$tewmac also has replacement rosewood boards if you're up to it. Comes down to what you want to $pend.

Not sure I understand the context of this question - > "Should I simply get a cheap bridge and go frome there? "

re pickguard, my experience on one guitar, while heat loosened it, the glue was not so permeable to absorb anything that would break it down. Friction , rolling it into clumps and pulling it off was the most effective I ended up re-installing the same guard after about 90% of the heavier glue was removed from the guard and the body, before risking damage to the soft top wood.
Some say wd-40, butter also will break down some glues like gummy label stuff. Careful with friction and scrapers as the top is easily damaged.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.