The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Re: Conversations

1) Would you please increase the total possible conversation participants from 6 to 20 (or the maximum possible on the software setting)

2) Please have the "Invite More" command button show below the participants list on ALL conversations.

Thanks

Edit: I reported my own thread/post.

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
That limit is to prevent people from using it for spamming others.

Just a question but why would you want that many people in a conversation? Can't you just use the forum to discuss whatever your are discussing instead of doing it behind the scenes?

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That limit is to prevent people from using it for spamming others.

Just a question but why would you want that many people in a conversation? Can't you just use the forum to discuss whatever your are discussing instead of doing it behind the scenes?
Thanks for the info about the limit and spamming.

We are planning a small get together by invitation and organizing it was started in a conversation. The numbers are growing (beyond 6) and the communication of various details then required a second conversation...which gets complicated.

However, your point is well taken. This could have been done through a forum thread, but it only applied to a few members. Hence, I used the conversation approach.

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
Thanks for the info about the limit and spamming.

We are planning a small get together by invitation and organizing it was started in a conversation. The numbers are growing (beyond 6) and the communication of various details then required a second conversation...which gets complicated.

However, your point is well taken. This could have been done through a forum thread, but it only applied to a few members. Hence, I used the conversation approach.
Sorry Dave if I sounded like I was sure about the reason why it's limited to 6. I meant I am assuming that they are limiting it to prevent it being used for spamming people.

And thanks for the explaining why you want that limitation to increase. As suggested, you might need to take the conversation elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Chito No need to apologize. Maybe your assumption is totally accurate.

The conversation 'system' in the GC Forum is working well, it just got a bit more awkward/complicated when the number of participants went beyond 6.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As an alternative, all the cool kids would be using a Slack channel or a Google Hangout ... just saying.
Is this directed at me? If it is, I'm totally lost...and (with certainty) because I'm not cool.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
I think there is an "invite" system for xenforo which is available to the forum owners but it is a paid subscription add-on.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Is this directed at me? If it is, I'm totally lost...and (with certainty) because I'm not cool.
If being a geek is cool, I am the coolest guy around :p. I've set up a test Slack workgroup. Let's see how that works (or not). If anyone else is interested in this, let me know, I'll post some observations and notes on that facility so far (limited experience here, but ramping up).

It would be nice to be able to link pics within convos too, like in the rest of the forum.
I seem to be able to do so from Tapatalk App on iPhone! I believe victims of my PMs will back-up that claim (that I am able to attach pics in PMs).

·
Administrator
244 Posts
Max number of users in a conversation has been upped to 20. That's about as much as I can increase it.

We'll see how this goes. If anyone starts to notice the beginning of Spam messages, let me know, and I'll lower it back down

As for attaching images, it's not something I can turn on. We can't allow the secret transferring of attachments behind closed doors.

Kevin

1 - 20 of 25 Posts