The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some info on replacing a 21 fret Tele neck with a 22 fret neck. The bolt pattern on the neck does not match the body pattern. The 22 fret neck does not have a overhang. Will i be able to do the intonation ?
Before i do something stupid please help. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What standard tele neck doesn’t have a fretboard overhang?

Sounds similar to a G&L neck.... that’s how they make their guitars.

Anyway; it won’t work on a standard tele body.
Its from a Modern Player thinline series.

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Easy way to find out.... will the neck fit in the neck pocket?

If it does, set it in. Measure from the nut to the saddle of the high e string. If you get 25.5”, you’re good. If it’s a different measurement, it won’t work.
It fits in the pocket but will measure it. Much appreciate the info

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

If it does, set it in. Measure from the nut to the saddle of the high e string. If you get 25.5”, you’re good. If it’s a different measurement, it won’t work.
Measured it. 25 and three quarters? I would have to move the saddle in by more than a quarter in.

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Measure it. 25 and three quarters? I would have to move the saddle in by more than a quarter in.
I’m actually not really familiar with the MP Tele.... googled it; it is a 25.5” scale guitar. But with 22 frets and no overhang, it won’t work on a standard Tele body.

You would have to either move the bridge, or re-rout the neck pocket. Neither are advisable.
Shit !!! I was afraid of that. Thank you so much. Just saved me from drilling new holes in neck.

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Buy longer screws?
I was thinking about that but wonder what the angle of the strings over the saddles is gonna be like. I know just enough to get me in trouble when it comes to modifying guitars so will look for a 21 fret neck.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
I was thinking about that but wonder what the angle of the strings over the saddles is gonna be like. I know just enough to get me in trouble when it comes to modifying guitars so will look for a 21 fret neck.
Yeah, in fairness you might be able to McGyver something up and make the intonation work, but I think the feel might be wrong. Best to source a proper neck for the body.

If you already have the modern player neck, the challenge will be finding a body suitable for it.

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, in fairness you might be able to McGyver something up and make the intonation work, but I think the feel might be wrong. Best to source a proper neck for the body.

If you already have the modern player neck, the challenge will be finding a body suitable for it.
Probably gonna sell the MP neck. I have a great Tele body and will be looking for a 21 fret neck for it. Much appreciate your input.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
How about buy a body that will work with that neck? Or have someone make one that'll fit. You could even do a kit and finish it yourself?? This is after all the Guitar Building/Mods/Repair section. ;-)

Cheers Peter.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Maybe route that 1/4" off the heel of the neck?
How close would the resulting over-hang come to the neck pup?
Bound to mess up a perfectly good neck that way..... the overhang would end up being the same as a standard 22 fret tele neck, so technically this would work.

I might give something like that a try..... attach my standard neck template to the bottom of the neck, put a shallow template bit in the router.... and definitely do it in the router table, so there’s a flat surface to work from....

OP - where are you located??

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bound to mess up a perfectly good neck that way..... the overhang would end up being the same as a standard 22 fret tele neck, so technically this would work.

I might give something like that a try..... attach my standard neck template to the bottom of the neck, put a shallow template bit in the router.... and definitely do it in the router table, so there’s a flat surface to work from....

OP - where are you located??
I,m in Ottawa are (Gatineau Quebec)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts