The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I just acquired an old Marshall cab 1982a (JCM 800 Lead) loaded with Celestion G12-80 (1980-1982?).

I just love that cab! It was pretty beaten. Fortunately, the speakers are perfect! I just finished repairing the tolex. To do so, I had to use some original tolex from the back panel (Which was the most beaten part of the cab due to transport..)

The construction of the cab is great; Made of solid 9-ply-or-so plywood EXCEPT the back panel, made of press wood..

Don't ask me what the previous owner did (Let the cab sit in a car under the sun for a week, or any other nightmarish situation..) but the back panel is kinda inflated, just a bit, just to be annoying for my procedural brain.

Now I have a few options;

- Apply new tolex and keep this press wood back panel
- Build a new back panel with russian birch plywood

If I decide to build a back panel with russian plywood, will it change the sound drastically?

Will it change the sound for the best? What should I expect? More bottom?

Any insight or opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dear moderators. Sorry for posting this here when there is a section especially for repairs. Please delete this thread as we don't have permissions to delete our own threads. Thanks

·
Registered
210 Posts
Replacing the back panel with birch (or poplar ply) is a good idea. I doubt that it will change the sound much -- and at any rate rotten pressboard is going to be prone to leaks and rattles -- so if anything, a new panel will improve it.

Tolex from NextGen Guitars is inexpensive and you can DIY a back panel if you buy some Weldbond and a good exacto knife from a home reno centre.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replacing the back panel with birch (or poplar ply) is a good idea. I doubt that it will change the sound much -- and at any rate rotten pressboard is going to be prone to leaks and rattles -- so if anything, a new panel will improve it.

Tolex from NextGen Guitars is inexpensive and you can DIY a back panel if you buy some Weldbond and a good exacto knife from a home reno centre.
Thanks for the advice. And thanks for NextGen Guitars, I wasn't aware of that store and yes they have really decent prices, good to know!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts