The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

I’ve got an idea for a unique approach to profiling and am considering starting a business. Obviously the largest barrier and expense is procuring amps to profile. So, I’ve been bouncing ideas around in my head for renting/borrowing amps and splitting profits. The question is what would a fair offer be? On the one hand someone owns an amp and have thousands invested in it. On the other, I will build and maintain the website, do the marketing, put in the work and provide the hardware required to make profiles and IR’s.

So what’s fair in your opinion? 80/20? 70/30? More?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Are there amps out there that haven't been profiled already? My impression is there are tons and tons of both free and paid for profiles but I'm admittedly not in that scene.

·
Premium Member
17,191 Posts
As has been said, i dont think its really feasible. Anyone in LA can already get what you can and probably already did. If it were the start then yeah maybe some merit to it.

I'd look into something not offered that people keep saying they want.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are there amps out there that haven't been profiled already? My impression is there are tons and tons of both free and paid for profiles but I'm admittedly not in that scene.
As someone in the scene I think you’re asking the wrong questions: most of the free profiles are pretty bad. Also, new ways of using profiles and new niche markets continue to emerge based on gear that can interact with the KPA. So while a profile of an amp may exist it may not be good or tuned to the products your planning to use with it. That’s where I see opportunities.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As has been said, i dont think its really feasible. Anyone in LA can already get what you can and probably already did. If it were the start then yeah maybe some merit to it.

I'd look into something not offered that people keep saying they want.
Precisely. But profiling a different amp isn’t the only way to end up with a different product.

Anyone with ideas about the OP?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Accessing amps, creating profiles and splitting revenue is the easy part.

Marketing the product offering, developing a storefront with paywall and protecting your IP will be much harder.

|Good luck with you venture.

·
Registered
24,712 Posts
I had a delightful long chat with Christoph Kemper at NAMM. Helluva nice guy. Much of the chat was about the ability of digital tech to authentically emulate distortion and fuzz. He thinks we're there already in terms of the current technology, but begrudgingly agreed that sometimes the algorithms may come up short. I asked him what distortion pedal he found hardest to emulate and the answer surprised me: Tube Screamer. He eagerly showed off the interface for tailoring the reverb, and we bonded when I I described the goal as "striking a balance between flexibility and usability". That is, the user should be able to get to what they want and need, easily and efficiently. Having too many options gets in the way.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
As someone in the scene I think you’re asking the wrong questions: most of the free profiles are pretty bad. Also, new ways of using profiles and new niche markets continue to emerge based on gear that can interact with the KPA. So while a profile of an amp may exist it may not be good or tuned to the products your planning to use with it. That’s where I see opportunities.
Cool, a different take on it- profiles tuned for different specific combinations of gear? And done well of course. I for some reason thought that profiling amps was a pretty exact science but I guess it's only as good as the person behind the gear.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool, a different take on it- profiles tuned for different specific combinations of gear? And done well of course. I for some reason thought that profiling amps was a pretty exact science but I guess it's only as good as the person behind the gear.
There are 11,000 free profiles on the rig exchange...and almost everyone I know still uses paid profiles from a handful of profile makers. So no, not all profiles are created equal.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Noob question:

When an amp is profiled, does the ending algorithm product the same characteristics as that particular amp
Yes...the profile though is a profile of how that amp, with those EQ settings, sounded through those mic’s and those pre amps with those settings. There are then parameters inside of the Kemper designed to refine (change) the profile. So clearly there are many factors in play for getting a sound one is happy with in the end...which is why people pay money for good profiles most of the time.

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
That answer was very well put. Now I know exactly what you mean.

All I can say is, i’m so happy that I met Steve Moratto over 1011 years ago. My knowledge of tone has increased so much, and I really learned it on some lamps that I feel are unique and powerful and very much a part of my tone.

. Obviously I enjoy vintage amps and I have gone through a number of them, however ever since I’ve owned three of Steve’s amps in particular, I’ve stop looking for amps. I know this is just me, however I find myself now concentrating a lot more on the note selection and duration in improvised music.

I will Say withoutdoubt, that a great amp inspires you to playl more often. end up playing Fewer notes that are longer because, your tone is so good that you want to hear the note Hang. I’m more Likely to play whole notes and half notes given that the tone is so sweet, even the tail of The tail of the note is beautiful.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
As far as the question of splitting profits, I think you are doing most of the work. Rather than a split I would think a one-off payment with no residuals. It's not like the owners you are renting from designed the amps.
I'm sure saying that may open a whole can o' worms, but mostly I wanted to get back to the specifics of the OP, rather than whether it's a feasible venture or not. ;)

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I’d be happy with a copy of the profile and another of my choice.

Excuse my ignorance. Which “amps” will play these profiles? Kemper? Garage Band?

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
+1 copy of the profile , perhaps access to all your profiles and future profiles.

If they’re not into kemper than offer to rent the amp for a day. Perhaps a security deposit would also make sense if you don’t know each other?

Btw I’d your serious about this I’m about an hour away.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts