The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Time fly's by....

Ziggy played guitar in David Bowie’s amphetamine-fueled glam rock outerspace masterpiece, but in real life it was Mick Ronson—the classically trained, understated guitar hero behind some of the most glittering and groundbreaking rock ’n’ roll innovators of the ’70s and ’80s. Fourteen years since his passing, Ronson lives in the hearts of millions of fans and the fond memories and seminal recordings of his famous friends. On Saturday, May 26, Mick Ronson would have been 61 years old.

There’s seldom a guitar talent so unassuming as Mick Ronson. Even during his years as the flamboyant foil for David Bowie’s Ziggy Stardust character, Ronson’s searing solos and crunchy riffs were less about showmanship than about serving the song at hand. The quintessential sideman, Ronson used little more than his trusty Les Paul and a Crybaby Wah to garnish the songwriting efforts of such brilliant writers as Bowie, Ian Hunter, and Lou Reed. Sometimes, as on Bowie’s Pinups album, those contributions were built on incendiary power chords, but more often Ronson brought subtle elegance and exquisite economy to his six-string work.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Oh Mick Ronson - one of my favourites. My older brother was huge into Bowie when I was a kid. This was around the time of Ziggy Stardust, and that record was on constantly at home. The solo on Moonage Daydream was the very first solo I ever noticed on a record - thats when I discovered the "concept" of a guitar solo. That whole album is still one of my all time favourites, even after all these years. Truly great songwriting and great musicians.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Way back when I learned the solos to Once Bitten, Twice Shy....I gained a whole new respect for this guy. Mick Ronson is one of the Great Ones in my book.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts