The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"My first guitar was a Silvertone by Danelectro; the typical Masonite-and-lipstick-tube-pickup type. I got a Silvertone amp to go with it; they cost $88 including the interest over 10 months." - John Fogerty

Remember your first guitar? I bought a student model 3/4 size acoustic Terada from a friend for $50. I probably paid too much, but I never regretted that decision.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
My first was a Dover... Kmart special... 69.95 for guitar and amp. Supposedly made in Kitchener. It was violin shaped body.... ahhh the beatles. Used it to learn for the first couple years then I hooked up with an old silvertone - dan electro . It was a pretty cool guitar, lipstick tube pickups, masonite on plywood I believe. From there it was to a tele....

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
My first guitar was a supro solid body, real POS. A $20 guitar I think. A friend cut it into a teardrop (or whatever you call it) like Brian Jones old Vox (k, this was in '66). Then we sprayed it with Candy Apple Auto paint, deep purple. Still a POS, but different.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
For the life of me I can't. I had one when I was a kid, but guitar never really took back then, I grew up on the farm and there was funner stuff to do. ie) quading, snowmobiles, guns etc. Heck I was driving the stick in our 48' Willys at age 10.

I bought a seagull when I picked it up again.

·
Registered
874 Posts
My first acoustic I got in 69 when I was 12. It was a no name cheapie, black with a fancy pickgaurd, and I loved it. When I was 15 I got my first electric. All I can remember is that it was red and a Hagstrom.....don,t know what model.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
My dad had a beater acoustic guitar when I was growing up. I knew a few chords, then started using the bottom 4 strings like the bass.

My first bass was a copy of a Ric 4001 I bought for $150 off a friend and sold for the same amount a few years later.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I had some 3/4 size acoustic when I started playing when I was 12 or 13. I quit though. When I picked it up again in my mid 20's, my first guitar was an Aria Pro II Fullerton Strat copy. Red, white plastic guard, H-S-S with a vintage style vibrato. I always thought it was a complete POS, but all my guitar player friends liked it. One of them actually yelled at me when I sold it.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...its the one in my avatar. an ibanez that even the vintage ibanez forum is unable to identify. there exists a photo of ringo starr holding one, but i don't have it. cost me $50 in 1963.

my very first guitar was small brown acoustic with a hawaiian painting on the front - probably worth a fortune to antique collectors today, but i have no idea where it ended up.

i wish i still had the jaguar and the telecaster i bought new in the late 60s...sigh...

-dh

·
Registered
698 Posts
My cousin has a blonde 68 or 69 Tele. It was my uncle's. Man - what a honey of a guitar... I'm waiting for the right moment to tell him what it's worth. Should be entertaining.

·
Registered
260 Posts
First guitar was a red mansfield pos . Used , broken headstock glued in a very ugly way . Action was about a mile . I bought it for 100 for a gigbag and an amp...not a bad deal.

My first real playable guitar was my ibanez sz520 , and it's still my favorite axe to this day .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Still got my first guitar AND my first bass.
Guitar: Hondo Strat copy w/ trem. Beautiful "Rosewood".
Still have the receipt, paid $223.00 in 1984.

Bass: Aria Pro II CSB-380. Very solid lo-cost bass.

Hard to find info on either of these two instruments these days...

·
Registered
98 Posts
My first guitar was a 1958 Gibson acoustic arch top, it was a Christmas gift and I was too young and stupid to appreciate it. I traded it to the lead guitarist in my first band for a no-name electric guitar that he got from Sears, it looked like a Silvertone and I still have it hanging on the wall complete with the flat wound strings we used back then, does anybody play flat wound strings these days?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I still have my first...and I still play it...good old sledgehammer by J.B. Player...200 bucks used and it still plays awesome after 13 years...

·
Registered
18 Posts
my first and only guitar's a fender squier covered in stickers and other crap. i went to get it fixed last night and i was told that it would be better for me to buy a new guitar because the amount of stuff needed to get fixed on my guitar would cost more than buying a new one. i'm sad. but yeah, i guess it's time for me to get a new guitar.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I sure wish I had my first guitar. Not because it was a good one, but for sentimental reasons.

In 1975, when I was 16, I bought a Mansfield guitar for $85.00 from a store called Ritchie's Music in Chilliwack B.C. It wasn't a very good guitar, but it was MY GUITAR and I loved it. It went everywhere with me. I had it right up til 1992 when, in a moment of insanity, I was cleaning the closet and I threw the guitar and all my books in the garbage. Of course I went back for it an hour or so later, but it was gone.:frown:

I haven't cleaned my closets since.:D

·
Premium Member
13,020 Posts
A Zenon. Flat neck - infinite radius. Ultimate POS. At least I learned to play my three cord progression on it. And it built really good calluses.

I'd lent it to the bass player in the group way back then. One day he try to get into his bedroom and the door wouldn't open all the way. So he pushed, really pushed, and there was this huge CRACK.

A deserving end, I thought. Though I should have pulled a Pete Townsend with it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
my first was a series A.I remember taking it to a pawn shop and trading it straight across for a powered sun mixing board and 2 roland moniters.Before the internet you could tell those pawn shop guy's your crappy little guitar was worth a million dollars!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yeah I remember mine. Still have it actually. It is a used Jackson (forgot what type cause i havnt played it in a while)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts