The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Around 40 years ago, I booked Humble Howard to DJ a dance at my high school (hey, financial reasons, I booked bands most of the time). The pig spent all night hitting on my 17 yo girlfriend.

"Ever won a radio contest? I'll make that happen. Just come outside and let's talk about it." Thankfully, he was only a small market AM DJ and not the superstar / Howie Mandel wannabe he became.

Reactions: Adcandour

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I remember one of their ID's where a car pulls up to the side of the road, and a woman in a, ahem, skimpy dress bends over to the car, and then Mark Dailey's voice comes on saying, "Two minutes for hooking. City Tv everywhere!"

·
Premium Member
11,786 Posts
I also remember Not So Great movies on Sunday afternoons.
That segment made it seem as though there were more hours in the broadcast day than Citytv knew what to do with.

But the late night stuff was great. Between that, and Elwy Yost on TVO, I got my self-education in cinema...I watched movies Id never heard of but found out later were classics....Like Rosemarys Baby, Barbarella, Woody Allen movies.
And I liked a lot of the old cheesy stuff too...Gene Kelly, Tyrone Power, James Cagney movies (mostly on Elwys show).

We have TBS on our satellite which plays a lot of the old stuff...finally got a round to seeing Casablanca, Bullitt and that Soylent Green one (all over-rated...or at least don't hold up over time).

·
Premium Member
27,284 Posts
Elwy was the shiznazz. I miss him. You're aware that his son Graham is a big deal in filmdom? Graham Yost - IMDb

While TCM carries a lot of stuff that appeals primarily to my 95 year-old aunt, they also carry a lot of important flicks, and provide lots of background info on them sometimes.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That segment made it seem as though there were more hours in the broadcast day than Citytv knew what to do with.

But the late night stuff was great. Between that, and Elwy Yost on TVO, I got my self-education in cinema...I watched movies Id never heard of but found out later were classics....Like Rosemarys Baby.
And I liked a lot of the old cheesy stuff too...Gene Kelly, Tyrone Power, James Cagney movies (mostly on Elwys show).

We have TBS on our satellite which plays a lot of the old stuff...finally got a round to seeing Casablanca, Bullitt and that Soylent Green one (all over-rated...or at least don't hold up over time).
Yeah, TVO played a lot of great movies too. There were a few guys that took over the show after Elwy left and I watched it a lot through that era. They played a lot of newer movies that weren't mainstream at all, but quite good.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Elwy was the shiznazz. I miss him. You're aware that his son Graham is a big deal in filmdom? Graham Yost - IMDb

While TCM carries a lot of stuff that appeals primarily to my 95 year-old aunt, they also carry a lot of important flicks, and provide lots of background info on them sometimes.
TCM slips in newer movies now and then.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts