The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day. Hoping someone in the GTA has some helpful suggestions for me here.

I have a guitar I'm thinking I'd like to have refinished. It's an Eastwood Studio 6 that I scored via Craigslist recently. It's a pretty cool guitar and feels solid enough but there is a sloppy finish flaw on the left edge of the headstock that kind of sucks and the whole guitar (basically a slimmer take on a LP with P-90s) is TV yellow... I'm not too fond of bright and flashy guitars but the thing feels very good in my hands and I scored it for a good price. I'd like to maybe have it stripped and just a fairly austere satin finish applied for a more natural look. Much depends, of course, on the appearance of the wood beneath. I'd like a good job but I don't want it to break the bank. Anyone know a trustworthy refinisher who does good work?

I know... with these kinds of things you don't really know what you're in for until you strip the commercial coat off and see what's beneath. Maybe it's plain ugly grain... or dead boring. I don't mind if it takes time to figure it out... it's like a puzzle. I also know that if you want it good and you want it cheap you can't reasonably expect it to be fast. Hell, I don't even want it cheap - I just don't want it to be insane. I was thinking of the satin finish because I have a Godin Exit 22 with a fantastic finish... it's quite beautiful in an understated way. The Eastwood body is (probably) basswood as opposed to the Godin's mahogany.

I asked my local go-to guitar tech guy but I gather he's not especially into refinishing guitars like mine and he only knew of some high-end paint guy who does really sophisticated stuff - and it's very expensive. I'm looking to simply ditch a second-rate finish and replace it with something fairly unremarkable but solid.

Any suggestions and personal experiences would be welcome - cheers. I've never taken a guitar to be refinished so I'm definitely in newbie territory here.

Max

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What, no one can help me? OK, thanks for that.

(;->))

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey David, thanks a bunch. Will PM you about it... cheers!

·
Registered
526 Posts
There are two types of finishes you can get

1, the car guys that will goop it on real good staight on top the old finish and it will be cheap

2, the pro finishes that pros do not want to do as no one ever considers the work involved in stripping an old finish and putting a new one on properly.

A proper refinish for that guitar would cost more than the guitar. Taking the old paint off would take forever if not be impossible as they use poly sealer. Painting on top just compounds the already tone robbing plastic thats on there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts