The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys you wouldn't believe what i am about to tell you, it ends up im related to gordon lightfoot. He is my ouncle, my dads first cousin. I just found out about it yesterday.. perdy interesting. But Im not a fan of country music...
I guess even though hes my ouncle i gues that doesn't mean i have to start liking country does it??

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...to the best of my knowledge, gordie has never been mistaken for a country singer.

nonetheless, congratulations. gordon lightfoot is a canadian institution and folk icon.

-dh

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thx, but i dont know any of his songs either, i guess thats perdy bad, isn't it, lol Well then if he isn't country I gues i should buy one of his cd's

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Gordon is Canada!!

I would be honoured to call him a relative.

You're trying to say you've never heard "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" or "Sundown"? Come to think of it, I'm gonna listen to some right now.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am honoured to call him my relitave, i might of heard those songs but i might of forgotten the names. I am goin to buy one of his cd's when i got to the mall wich will be soon cuz i have to go school shopping:frown:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Benee Wafers said:
Hey SP06
No his music is not country..........it's worse..........its folk!!!!!!!!!:tongue:
Benee Wafers
I wouldn't label it anything other than
1) Great Music
2) Canadiana
3) should be required listening if you are Canadian

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Crossroads said:
I wouldn't label it anything other than
1) Great Music
2) Canadiana
3) should be required listening if you are Canadian
....singer/songwriter, and a true master of the artform. we need to be careful of labelling, and then dismissing anything that might fall under that label (eg i hate country, i hate folk etc)

-dh

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey pauls s I dont think that will be possible staying awake in english... :tongue: Ya i hear his music is good, I will buy his cd and hope i like it. I got Gordons phone # to call him... But im kinda nervous to call it. singer/ song writers are really busy, i think...

·
Premium Member
16,535 Posts
I love Gordon Lightfoot.

I was only familiar with his radio hits until I saw an "Intimate and Interactive" concert on Much More Music a couple of years ago.

Since then I have become a big fan.

If You Could Read My Mind is just beautiful.

Also, he has a masterful band. These guys can play.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Lightfoot is a Canadian Icon, he is one of the great singer/songwriters and I agree that you try not to put him in a specific genre. He is capable and has done a lot of different styles and is repected for what he has to say. I would be proud to be related to him...

BTW ... I found english a hard class to get into until we got into modern song and poetry, then they got my interest... :food-smiley-015:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey guys, How come listening to country is mandatory?? And i guess im goin to have to listen in my english class if i want to get any where don't i?:tongue:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
because there is something to be learned there, just like jazz or classical..... all music has something to offer....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks PaulS. Roots. Origins. Everything comes from somewhere. A lot of stuff relates back to country. If you want to make something new you have to first understand what makes the old one work.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Baba Rumraisin said:
Thanks PaulS. Roots. Origins. Everything comes from somewhere. A lot of stuff relates back to country. If you want to make something new you have to first understand what makes the old one work.

it allows for an interesting journey, now you have been given a "roadmap" by your fretmates here, I only found in my late 30s. check out the early americana songs ( derivatives from English,Scottish and Irish folk songs) and most defintily blues ( the grandfather to rock ) especially people like Robert Johson, Muddy Waters, Mississipi John Hurt, Lighting Hopkins,

It will make your journey through music so much more rewarding and enjoying.

never limit yourself with one or two genres of music :rockon:

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
smashing_pumpkins_06 said:
hey guys, How come listening to country is mandatory?? And i guess im goin to have to listen in my english class if i want to get any where don't i?:tongue:
...here's the trick: avoid mainstream/terrestrial radio like the plague. it has been playing the same six songs since 1966, and has turned people off not only specific genres of music, but music altogether, and has managed to almost eradicate what little musical curiosity previously existed among mainstream audiences.

-dh

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
PaulS said:
because there is something to be learned there, just like jazz or classical..... all music has something to offer....:rolleyes:
what about hip hop? if it even classifies as music, all i can get out of it is this how not to be a band.:cool:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts