The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all interested.

last fall i was surfing around and found a link to www.bandname.com
so of course I decided to register my band name. The band name is RIFF WRATH, naturally, and currently it has only 1 member. It cost $12.00 US and the registration is supposidly in the US and the UK.
There are probably other sites, but this one "looked" official enough.
Perhaps I might have to register elsewhere for publishing etc. but this is a start.
The neat part is that I have an "official" document, like a diploma that is dated, with my name, my address, the band name and the date.
IMHO I think for the price that this is a good enough legal wise to protect your band name, or even a future band name that you might like. They claim to also do a search and apparently if the name is taken they won't allow you to register.
cheers
RIFF WRATH

·
Premium Member
4,298 Posts
I suggest you get the domain name too, riffwrath.com as well as the riffwrath.ca Doesn't cost that much either. Less hassle later on if you decide to build a website.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion Chito.
I am a bit computor illeterate but will have to check into that.
cheers
RIFF

·
Registered
110 Posts
Trademarks

Hello, Iam going through the same thing with my sons band. I checked out that site you mentioned and I dont think it will help you legally.We are using a Trademark agent in Toronto. It will cost $1400 . you get a complete search. The agency gets some .The Canadian government gets some.Its all legal paperwork. It will take about 1 1/2 years to complete. To trademark a name you have to start in your home country first .Then if you want, apply in the states next.It will probably cost alot more to trademark a name in the States. I'am finding thats why alot of bands donot trademark their names. Time and money. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
PTModIT said:
Hello, Iam going through the same thing with my sons band. I checked out that site you mentioned and I dont think it will help you legally.We are using a Trademark agent in Toronto. It will cost $1400 . you get a complete search. The agency gets some .The Canadian government gets some.Its all legal paperwork. It will take about 1 1/2 years to complete. To trademark a name you have to start in your home country first .Then if you want, apply in the states next.It will probably cost alot more to trademark a name in the States. I'am finding thats why alot of bands donot trademark their names. Time and money. Thanks.
$1400 seems steep for that. Registering a trademark with the Canadian Intellectual Property Office is only $250 link here so I'm curious about what the other $1100 is for, other than just the convenience of having someone else do the paperwork.

I do agree that registering a trademark is the way to go, and establishing use of the name. I guess the website that started this topic could go towards showing use of the name, but I think most courts would rule in favour of someone who's been gigging with a name over someone who has just claimed it on that website but not actually used it.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I would go the easy route.

Register your band name as a business. You can do it online for about $150.00 provincially (with a name search). If you want, you can register it in as many provinces or all of Canada for that matter, and you can get a GST number.

If you are not taking things seriously enough to run the band like a business, then you have to wonder why you want to protect the name in the first place. If you run the band as a business there are also expenses that you can write off, which will likely negate any income for a band that is just starting out or just plays on week-ends would make.

You can let the record company worry about the rest in the event that you get signed, otherwise I wouldn't get twisted up over international rights.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have just registered riffwrath.com and riffwrath.ca. the search showed no current users. I suppose a hyphen or perhaps a space in between, or maybe an "s" on the end could be considered different, who knows.
My one man band is very impotent now that the name is out there - LOL
cheers
RIFF

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hello, There is more to it then just registering a trademark for $250. There is a trademark lawyer involved.$250 is just for the application and thats our next step.There are lawyer fees ,filing fees , search fees, canadian government fees. $1400 over 1 1/2 years is not to bad. Thanks.

I

·
0 Posts
2007 last post... its now 2011 !

Well, .... im pissed off, ... Want to register a name and logo at canadian trademark offcie, but it will cost $250 as stated above INITIALLY, THEN another $200 once the registration is succdessful. $250 + $200 = $450
In my Case i have a 'name' AND a 'logo', ... so times that by two and it will cost me $900.

Registration ONLY covers Canada, What about US, UK, AU, ???... I found the Madrid Protocol, where you can register your trademarks with coverage around the world, but guess what .....Canada is the only developed country NOT to join the Madrid Protocol. They even have an article on their website (here) admitting that they are bassicly behind while the world turns!

I would like to join the Madrid Protocol but i can not because Canada NEEDs to be a member first !
SOB ! Lots of talk about it but nothing has come of it yet

Madrid System for the International Registration of Marks

I'll be seeing my MP to bitch about this one!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so here I am, working on a couple of blues and country lyrics, while Neil Young is playing in the background.........that link is scary.......that ain't the Riff Wrath I've grown to love...............LOL.........that ain't me..........cheers, Gerry

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
Well there are times I am glad I'm not in a band, nor am I likely to be in one any time soon.
Seems like a lot of expense & hassle over a name.

(Although possibly well worth it, if you become a marketable entity)

·
Premium Member
16,961 Posts
My band plans on registering as a business soon, didn't know it would cost for the name And the logo!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts