The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing refrets for quite a while, but am interested in hearing other perspectives.
I typically use the Stew Mac Jaws system for pressing the frets, then run a bead of CNA (thin crazy glue) next to the fret. I give it a few seconds then wipe the excess glue away with glue solvent. I trust the crazy glue to hold the frets in place, however the amount of time spent on clean up can be a lot. Even when wiped with solvent, the glue will adhere to the fingerboard. Then the fingerboard needs to be razored to remove the glue.

How do you approach the glue? I've hear of guys using standard carpentry glue. The clean up would be a breeze, but does it hold the fret ends down( if they have a tendency to recoil)?
I've also heard that the crazy glue works better for filling the fret slot, which helps with resonance.
I've also tried putting wax near the fretwire so when the crazy glue is applied, it doesnt bond with the fingerboard as much. I've tried it and still have the same issue.

Are there any tips that would aid in making this a better process? I find 50% of my time is spent removing the glue from the fingerboard.

Thank you everyone.

J

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Have you tried putting a drop of glue in the fret slot first?

Reactions: Jarin Winterhalt

·
Registered
23 Posts
Another glue I can't really give a personal recommend to, as I have only used it once and the frets were already in. It SEEMED to work ok at filling the too deep fret slots (wicked under the frets from the end rather than the fingerboard) but removal would be required to find out how well it really did, so.....
Anyway, after reading about it I tried "Chair Doctor" glue (at Lee Valley and probably others). It's a very thin white glue that wicks into gaps - but not quite as watery as thin CA so none on the fingerboard, in my case. Reasonable working time as well. Water clean-up like any white glue.

Just another thing to maybe try....

cheers

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
You can get CA glue in medium and thick as well as water like. I use medium and thick when I make my pen along with an accelerant.

Reactions: Jarin Winterhalt

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
I've only used glue when there's a reason to. Guitars that have been refretted before such that the slots are enlarged etc. In this case I either expand the fret tang or place a very small bead of the heavier CA glue in the fret slot before installation (or both). Under normal circumstances, I use the same jaws that you mention with a pre-radius on the wire such that the ends seat first and have never had an issue with frets popping after the fact.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all your suggestions. I did another refret this weekend, and applied the CNA glue into the fret before seating the fret, and it saved a considerable amount of time with clean up. I will continue to use this method on different types of finger boards and see how it goes. Thank you for all your help:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts