The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Reccomondations?

I was thinking of a Kevin O'Connor book but which?

I have the YBA-1 on the bench, and the 1 meg pots and tone stack components on order, but I would like to also learn a bit as I go.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Telemark said:
Any Reccomondations?

I was thinking of a Kevin O'Connor book but which?

I have the YBA-1 on the bench, and the 1 meg pots and tone stack components on order, but I would like to also learn a bit as I go.
I suggest that you start with The Ultimate Tone Volumes 1 & 3. I found these the most useful.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scottone,

Thanks, I imagine there is some repetition between volumes of the O'Connor books. I have a good grasp of circuit theory, but not of tubes or tube amp design.

Is volume one still a good place to start?

What is is about Volume 2 that made it less usefull?

I'm thinking to start with volume 1 so I don't get all ADHD and just let the books gather dust.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Telemark said:
Scottone,

Thanks, I imagine there is some repetition between volumes of the O'Connor books. I have a good grasp of circuit theory, but not of tubes or tube amp design.

Is volume one still a good place to start?

What is is about Volume 2 that made it less usefull?

I'm thinking to start with volume 1 so I don't get all ADHD and just let the books gather dust.
Volume 1 is definitely the best one to start with because it lays the groundwork. Volume 3 is a nice compliment because it has more chapters on construction and particularly grounding techniques (which was only covered in a minor fashion in V1). V3 also has Kevin's suggested layouts for several clones of "iconic" amps. As I recall, volume 2 was interesting but didn't have a lot of stuff that interested me at the time.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Volume 1 iof _The Ultimate Tone_ is on Order, should only take a few weeks to cross the country by pony.

Meanwhile If I can keep from electrocuting myself I have an amp to play with!
Thanks.:food-smiley-004:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts