The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, do you know of any tips on how to reduce the action on a strat? (I don't mean like adjusting the screws on a bridge so low that it turns into buzz-city). I mean like, actually...

I don't really know what I mean, but have any of you tried this? Tips?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
while the neck adjuster makes me scratch my head re transfer of tone, it is really good for dropping your action.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Try a combination of truss Rod adjustment and bridge height adjustment. Don't forget that as soon as you do either you will need to adjust your intonation.
Another thing that may help is to deepen the slots on the nut. You should go to someone with the proper files to do this otherwise you may find your strings stick afterwords.

good luck

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
This may be a little time consuming but its what I would do to get a real low action.
I would start with a straight neck...NO RELIEF.Just make sure its not bowed backwards. The opposite of relief if that makes any sense.

Tune it up with a nice low action and see if it buzzes and where. You may get lucky and its all over.

If there is buzzing, try a bit of relief on the neck and repeat all of the above.
YOur going to get to a point where your guitar plays well and you have the best action possible on that guitar.

Thats what I would do. And yes, the nut does play a part in this adventure.

good luck

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you are not sure, spend a few bucks and have it done at a guitar repair/service store.

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
I'd add a fret dressing in there too. If it's just one or two frets causing your buzzing, it might be that those frets are a little on the high side. But I would start with a little neck relief first and then take it from there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts