The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i spent a few hours with the RedPlate guys. Warm guys and love to talk gear and other. I spent quite a bit of time playing the EL35 platform amps Magica and Blackline.

Redplate are known for their Fender style amps and I owned a Chuck D'Aloia signature amp a few years ago. In the last few years, they added EL34 platforms and....they sound incredible. I've been looking for an EL34 amp for some time and had looked at the Magica about a year ago. I spent a lot of time with the Magica and was ready to pull the plastic out and the owner Henry said I should also try the Blackline.

The Magica is a rock & roll machine while the Blackline can also do the Dumple thing. They are both fantastic amps; three button footswitch, clean and Drive channels can be boosted, mid or gain switch that drives the amp., FX loop that works great, power switch down from 50 to 18W, single coil and humbucker voicing switch. I was blown away by both amps. In the end, I decided to go with the Blackline.

The only question now is: British Racing Green or Elephant or Rhino Black tolex?

Ps. I was listening to the new Allen Hinds album this morning and the guys told me that Hinds' amp is the Blackline. Fate!

Henry and Keith in the photos

Room Event Team
Electronic instrument Electronics Machine Room Engineering
Guitar amplifier Electronic instrument Musical instrument Technology Sound box

·
Premium Member
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had the Blackline for a week now - great amp, Clean and Overdrive channels are really nice with separate eq for each channels. The FX loop works really well and the guys at RedPlate built me an adaptor box which enables me to change channels and engage the boost functions via the Fractal FX8.

I've been tweaking away but it sounds really good straight out of the box. Very happy with the Blackline.

Guitar Musical instrument Electronic instrument Guitar amplifier Electric guitar

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had the Blackline for a week now - great amp, Clean and Overdrive channels are really nice with separate eq for each channels. The FX loop works really well and the guys at RedPlate built me an adaptor box which enables me to change channels and engage the boost functions via the Fractal FX8.

I've been tweaking away but it sounds really good straight out of the box. Very happy with the Blackline.

View attachment 78953
Heh Alex..sorry to barge in with you here, but I noticed you had RedPlate build you a box to use your Blackline with a FX8 to access the boost functions....
Did that eliminate having to use their channel switching pedal...? Can't the Fractal itself provide those switching capabilities?
appreciate your time.. I'm considering the same set up....

·
Premium Member
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heh Alex..sorry to barge in with you here, but I noticed you had RedPlate build you a box to use your Blackline with a FX8 to access the boost functions....
Did that eliminate having to use their channel switching pedal...? Can't the Fractal itself provide those switching capabilities?
appreciate your time.. I'm considering the same set up....
Yes, the midi box eliminates the use of the RedPlate foot switch. You need the midi box for the relays to work the most effective way possible with the FX8.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts