The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone in Edmonton has a Red Eye Preamp I could try out. I'm looking to compare it with my Baggs Para DI but having no local dealer makes it somewhat tough.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had to look up REDDI. What are you using that for, recording or live situations?

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
I have a redeye preamp. I like it.

Have yourself drop shipped to the jam this Saturday and you can try it.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
So, this is the one I have and I'm pretty sure it's what you are asking about.

Running it through this amp which is a Traynor AM 225 acoustic guitar amp.

The number one channel is supposed to be dedicated for guitar. Two and three have xlr for mics or whatever else you want to use and can also take a regular guitar jack.

I'm using K&K pure mini pickups on 4 different dreads; this setup works well with all of them.

I don't think that there are any impedance issues with the Traynor guitar channel and the K&K so it is arguable that I don't really need the pedal.

However, the K&K is passive and, to me, the guitar tone sounds a little better with the pedal and better again with the pedal on boost all the time.

Some of the cognoscenti on the AGF were also of the view that having the pedal going into a dedicated acoustic amp improved the sound but their dissertations need not detain us here.

I got it mainly for the boost function to use on bluegrass breaks and also because it's a simple clean external preamp for the K&K with balanced xlr output if needed.

I haven't compared it directly with anything else but I was put off from some of the other preamps when I read about how they process the signal too much and people spend a lot of time messing with them to get good tone. The redeye seemed like a simple solution; two knobs one button.

I got it from Shoreline Music; transaction went smooth no problem. No one around here carried them so I just bought it and it has done what I wanted it to do.

·
Registered
11,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up purchasing a Red-Eye and just a quick trial run through the PA left me very happy. I didn't tweak anything at the board yet and it sounded great, very full and natural. James Taylor wishes he could sound this awesome, good luck with that, Stringbean. Anyways, it sounds organic and clearly works well with the K&K combination. I dig the boost feature and the simplified effects loop in and out, much better than having to deal with that awkward Y-split cable needed with the Para DI.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts