The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What program does everyone here use to record their music to PC? I want to record some of my songs to my PC but I'm not sure what program to use. I heard Fruity Loops is good to use.

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
fruity loops is a drum machine, beatmaker kinda thing. dont think you can record really with it. Audacity is good, and free, easy to use, has lots of effects etc.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

for multiple tracks and editing ive been using cooledit pro, and
recently started using reaper to facilitate vst plugins like ezdrummer,
but thats a whole nother headache

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Personally I've got Reaper, Cubase, Audacity and Cool Edit Pro all installed... and Pro Tools I think. Don't know why but yeah, when I'm about to record I just randomly pick the first one that comes to mind. Then I've got apps like ReValver Mk II, Amplitube and Guitar Rig 2 and probably other similar apps installed too... again, don't know why considering I never use them.

Drums I use FL Studio with EZDrummer (+ DKFH) and bass I use Broomstick Bass (I think that's the name).

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Reaper is what I use. It's a great multitracker and they're up to version 2.0 now. Audacity is also pretty good but it has a 16 track limitation. Download both of them and try them out to see which one you prefer. Fraser gave you the link for Audacity, here's the link for Reaper: http://reaper.fm/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Some great programs worth checking out:

Pro Tools (The LE and M-powered are to check out)
Adobe Audition (Another Complicated yet powerful Adobe program)
Cool Edit Pro (A.Audition but less versatile vers. easier to understand)
Cubase (don't know it, but Professional sounding program)

If you're playing alone and would like to add drums to your tracks:
Acoustica Beatcraft (the way to go, easy, fast, effective)

If you need help with any of the programs exept Cubase, just ask!

Andy Mac.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Speaking of recording to PC...

I have reason to believe someone has bought me a Line 6 Toneport (probably the cheap one, GX) for Christmas.

Has anyone had experience with those? Good/bad/ugly?

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
Thanks for the info on the programs.... how do you get the sound IN to the PC.

I've been eyeballing the USB guitar chord that came out last year... The Lightsnake. Anyone play with one of those? or what else is there?
I kow about the Line 6 stuff.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
dodgechargerfan- well those programs are recording apps, so think of them basically like a tape machine. you could plug your guitar in using the lightsnake or other, but it would sound shitty. so you would need a amp modeller, like guitar rig or amplitube or something. they do work well, and sound pretty good. so youd run the modelling program, and the recording program at the same time.
but just to get the sound into the pc youd just plug into the line in of your soundcard- itll be one of the little holes near where your speakers plug in. then you have to enable it and set it up in windows mixer.
better, if you have a line out on your amplifier you run a line from it into the line in on the soundcard.
better still- get a mic, and plug it into the mic in of soundcard and just mic the amp.
theres really a shitload of ways to do this- it all depends on what your needs are, and how much its worth to ya.
i started out just with a mic on my soundcard, then got a soundcard with 1/4 inch jack on the front (soundblaster platinum xfi- its for sale now) and plugged in and ran guitar rig. then i got a soundcard with 10 inputs(delta 1010) and a mackie mixer with preamps and xlr outputs. finally i added a pod- so i can simultaneously record from a bunch of sources and am fully flexible. but i also record mostly acoustics-
if all i wanted to do tho was record electric guitar, id just get a lightsnake, or something similar, and guitar rig. thatll work well.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Fraser, don't you get latency issues when recording from the line-in of the sound card?

Mine was awful. Maybe your sound card is better than mine.

L

·
0 Posts
Me too. I was told it was a mater of setting the delay
to zero. I haven't figured it out yet. But any Cubase
owners out there who know the software, please respond.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Here's what I use: http://www.stealthplug.com/Main.php?prod-SP.php
I got my Stealthplug at Long and McQuade last year and it comes with a pretty impressive software bundle including the full version of Mackies Tracktion 2 multitrack recording application and Amplitube Live which is a somewhat cutdown version of Amplitube. They recently updated the software so now you can record at not only 44.1 and 48.0 kHZ but other sampling rates as well. I almost bought the Lightsnake myself but at the time it didn't use ASIO drivers whereas the Stealthplug does. The Stealthplug plugs into any available USB port and it comes with the ASIO drivers which makes tracking a lot faster than what you'd get with Lightsnake although I do have to say that maybe now they've updated Lightsnake so check that out as well but IMO for the price you can't go wrong with the Stealthplug.

Thanks for the info on the programs.... how do you get the sound IN to the PC.

I've been eyeballing the USB guitar chord that came out last year... The Lightsnake. Anyone play with one of those? or what else is there?
I kow about the Line 6 stuff.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
hi guys-
latency can be a pain- however you can overcome it.
i use a fast pc with 1gb of ram- so that helps, plus my soundcard is a decent quality thing. so i can do anything really and encounter zero latency. i use this- was about 225$
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Delta1010LT-main.html

even if you dont have a fast pc or good soundcard, latency can be solved-
first you need an asio driver- quality soundcards use asio drivers, but this app here-
http://www.asio4all.com/
will force most any card to use asio.
also, make sure your pc is clean- no spyware or anything, and i run this regularly
http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
make sure that the fewest possible programs are running on the pc
and the main one- reduce the sample rate of your recording-
if your running at 96000 hz it uses a lot of power, and lowering it wont make a noticeable quality drop- 41000 hz is cd quality, and its fine.
make sure your using the latest drivers for your soundcard- and it may have a latency setting in your soundcard settings- if so set it to around 5 ms- play around with it, the higher you go the easier it is on your pc, but the more noticeable the latency becomes.
its been a while, but i started with a pentium 2 450 mhz 128 ram and a soundblaster live value card- latency happened but i was able to tweak it to a decent point.
also theres a big difference if your using the soundcard built into your motherboard(onboard) because it sucks more resources than a pci add on one. even a 20$ pci soundcard will likely be better thn the one built in.
ram is cheap, so if thats an option adding some helps a lot.
this place is really helpful too-
http://homerecording.com/bbs/
do a search thru the forum for specific issues.
but be careful- a lot of theyre solutions involve spending money, and i try to avoid doing that whenever i can get by without it. for most people it isnt necessary to have an expensive setup when a basic, cheap setup does what they want.
my setup is pretty low level by many standards, but i put some money into it, about $1200- but it does everything i want and more, but i can still make really crappy recordings lol.
sorry about the long rambling scattered post- im dredging this stuff up from the depths of my wounded brain and typing it out as i go- if anyone needs help just ask:smile:

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
larry- i found this for cubase on the net.
If you're experiencing latency (time-lag between playing a note on a keyboard and the sound being heard) make sure you have the ASIO driver selected.
Go to:
Devices Panel » Device Set Up
Select your audio-card ASIO driver
Then go to the Control Panel and lower the latency settings by adjusting the "Buffer Size Samples" settings until happy.
(Tip: Try starting out with a buffer size setting of 512 and experiment either side of this number).

also-

Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE » Processes
Find cubasesx.exe
Right click and set PRIORITY to MAX

and check this link-
http://forum.studioathome.com/viewtopic.php?id=685

i have cubase, but havent used it-

1 - 20 of 70 Posts