The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been asked hundreds of time but I am also just looking for some basic multitracking software, I want to plug a good quality Mic into my laptop and record a few tracks, then dump them on to CD, nothing too fancy I don't need a ton of effects just the capturing capability. What would be my best route ? thanks

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Riffhard said:
This has probably been asked hundreds of time but I am also just looking for some basic multitracking software, I want to plug a good quality Mic into my laptop and record a few tracks, then dump them on to CD, nothing too fancy I don't need a ton of effects just the capturing capability. What would be my best route ? thanks
The first thing I'd suggest is not plug a mic into your laptop. Your laptop sound card isn't really designed for audio recording.

Look into a Firewire based professional audio device. MAudio has some.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Jeff Flowerday said:
The first thing I'd suggest is not plug a mic into your laptop. Your laptop sound card isn't really designed for audio recording.
Why's that? I just recorded some great stuff last week directly into my computer.

http://www.corbettcyr.com/Personal/Dave/Come_Home.zip

Sounds alright to me. And Riffhard, I was using Adobe Audition. I find it's quick and easy to use. It's also pretty intuitive. What you seem to be looking for ( basic, stripped down multitrack software...) doesn't exist as far as I know. If you want PC multitrack recording I think it's all or nothing.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
nine said:
Why's that? I just recorded some great stuff last week directly into my computer.

http://www.corbettcyr.com/Personal/Dave/Come_Home.zip

Sounds alright to me. And Riffhard, I was using Adobe Audition. I find it's quick and easy to use. It's also pretty intuitive. What you seem to be looking for ( basic, stripped down multitrack software...) doesn't exist as far as I know. If you want PC multitrack recording I think it's all or nothing.
Into your computer or your laptop?

·
Registered
635 Posts
I recorded that onto my computer via a normal stereo input, but a laptop would be no different. I've heard some stuff recorded on to laptops that sounded really great.

Obviously, an external firewire/box solution will be helpful for recording more than just one stereo source at a time, but it's by no means necessary.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I was already told I would need to upgrade my soundcard but there is one or two available that will work very well in a laptop (the proper sound card is quite pricey though

·
Registered
788 Posts
I had some problems with my laptop(you could not monitor/hear what you are recording) a driver change fixed this and it does a good job of recording stuff using reaper

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I used to recommend Audacity, but now point people to REAPER. It is much more user friendly and I like the way it handles VST effects better.

You can download it from here: http://www.cockos.com/reaper/

BTW, I use Adobe Audition 2.0 and love it for its ease of use and very powerful editing capabilities.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts