The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is no doubt a dumb question but I have zero experience in live guitar recording. I want to be able to play and record the chords to a song and then play that back and play/record the lyrics on top so that I end up with an integrated recording. What equipment do I need to achieve this?

Phil

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Mic + integrated sound card (i.e. w mic preamp) + computer + DAW software.

Alternatively any small Portastudio type device + a mic.Some have a built in mic. Note; some stereo/2 track recorders (e.g. smaller Zooms) do not support overdubbing - you'd have to sing and play at the same time.

The first is expandable the second isn't.

For mics in the budget category I strongly suggest staying away from condensers. With those, go big or go home. Cheap ribbons and dynamic mics (especially large diaphram dynamics) are quality workhorses at a much lower cost. The Apex 110B ribbon is 150ish at L&M. Shure SM7b or EV RE20 or Heil PR40 are large diaphram dynamics (I prefer the latter 2) that can be had for 300 used or 600 ish new (tjhe Heil is a bit cheaper) . Even just an SM57 is great on guitar and vox.

DAW is a no brainer - Reaper. Smaller and faster than the big boys but does all they do. Free trial (and like $50 legit non pro license which you don't have to pay for but I rec you do cuz they good ppl).

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
To save a lot of typing, here is a link that gives you some very general knowledge:

How to Record Electric Guitar

If you have any questions after your viewing, come on back. This site has many members who perform and record regularly and are often willing to help out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to everyone for the fast replies. I actually want both electric and acoustic guitar capability. Does Reaper do the same things as Audacity? I found an Audacity tutorial that describes in detail how to accomplish what I want to do.

Phil

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mic + integrated sound card (i.e. w mic preamp) + computer + DAW software.

Alternatively any small Portastudio type device + a mic.Some have a built in mic. Note; some stereo/2 track recorders (e.g. smaller Zooms) do not support overdubbing - you'd have to sing and play at the same time.

The first is expandable the second isn't.

For mics in the budget category I strongly suggest staying away from condensers. With those, go big or go home. Cheap ribbons and dynamic mics (especially large diaphram dynamics) are quality workhorses at a much lower cost. The Apex 110B ribbon is 150ish at L&M. Shure SM7b or EV RE20 or Heil PR40 are large diaphram dynamics (I prefer the latter 2) that can be had for 300 used or 600 ish new (tjhe Heil is a bit cheaper) . Even just an SM57 is great on guitar and vox.

DAW is a no brainer - Reaper. Smaller and faster than the big boys but does all they do. Free trial (and like $50 legit non pro license which you don't have to pay for but I rec you do cuz they good ppl).
Thanks. That is great info to get me started.

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Yes, Reaper does all the same stuff as Audacity, and more probably.

If you are already familiar with Audacity then you could stick with it; you're not doing anything too crazy yet.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, Reaper does all the same stuff as Audacity, and more probably.

If you are already familiar with Audacity then you could stick with it; you're not doing anything too crazy yet.
I am not using anything yet so will educate myself with Reaper. Thx

·
Premium Member
8,706 Posts
I also recommend Reaper, sounds like I'm similar to you in doing just small song sketches though I've done fairly fully produced stuff too. You can upload drum tracks - widely available in all sorts of styles - into whatever software you use too FYI.

I own a 2i2 for a simple interface, it's pretty easy, make that damned simple for a simpleton like me, to use, and they're not expensive (depends of course on your budget etc). Can plug in either a mic (mic an amp or an acoustic, vocals of course) or even plug your instrument straight in and then use amp sims, effects etc after the fact in Reaper.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That’s interesting. Is it necessary to have an interface like this or can you mic directly into computer.

Phil

·
Registered
492 Posts
That’s interesting. Is it necessary to have an interface like this or can you mic directly into computer.

Phil
I have a 1/4" to USB converter cable that is normally used for the Rocksmith game which I find works well. It is just a single cable so it is very easy to setup quickly. I also have digital multi effects (zoom and helicon) which also come with integrated interfaces.

See if anything you have works before buying something new.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also recommend Reaper, sounds like I'm similar to you in doing just small song sketches though I've done fairly fully produced stuff too. You can upload drum tracks - widely available in all sorts of styles - into whatever software you use too FYI.

I own a 2i2 for a simple interface, it's pretty easy, make that damned simple for a simpleton like me, to use, and they're not expensive (depends of course on your budget etc). Can plug in either a mic (mic an amp or an acoustic, vocals of course) or even plug your instrument straight in and then use amp sims, effects etc after the fact in Reaper.
I have been looking at this on the L&M site. Does it come with a chord to connect to computer or is this extra?

Phil

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have been looking at this on the L&M site. Does it come with a chord to connect to computer or is this extra?

Phil
My bro just bought a Foucusrite 2i2 on the weekend and it comes with an USB cable that connects to a computer or laptop. Your good to go with that piece of hardware.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
+1 on the 2i2...had mine for about a year now and love it...i too also use reaper...its easy enough to use, and does just about everything

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
This is no doubt a dumb question but I have zero experience in live guitar recording. I want to be able to play and record the chords to a song and then play that back and play/record the lyrics on top so that I end up with an integrated recording. What equipment do I need to achieve this?

Phil
You need:
1 A computer. Pretty much any computer will do for a few tracks
2 An audio interface. This is what translates signals from your guitar/microphone to your computer. Get one with two channels so you can record two things at once like voice/guitar. I bought my M-Audio Fast Track Pro for $80 on Kijiji.
3 A microphone. Can't go wrong with a Shure 58.
4 Computer speakers. I used some cheap M-audio ones for years and they were fine.
5 DAW. This is the software on your computer that you record on. I use Reaper. It's free to try (Forever) and $60 to buy.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My bro just bought a Foucusrite 2i2 on the weekend and it comes with an USB cable that connects to a computer or laptop. Your good to go with that piece of hardware.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts

Phil
Technically no, but the mic input (1/8" minijack, like the headphone out but TS vs TRS) will be noisy as hell (internal comp clock whir) and may only accept HiZ mics vs standard pro LoZ mics; don't recall exactly since it's been ages since I had to resort to that. You could DI into it with an adapter but same noise issue and might have Z match issues on top.

Even a [shudder] USB mic is better than the built in mic jack on a comp.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies. Now I just have to convince my wife to spend the money. Between L&M and Amazon the total will be about $450. + tax (2i2 + mic + mic stand + mic clamp).

Phil

1 - 20 of 22 Posts