The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pedaboard and a blues jr. My living conditions would not allow me to record by mic'ing my amp.
My interface is a scarlett 2i2 and also have a line 6 ux2. When I input my pedalboard into my interface and take the output through my KRK Rokits instead of my Blues Jr, the sound isn't recording worthy.

U guys have any suggestions/tips on this? I have amplitube and pod farm, but I like some of my pedals a lot.

On a side note, if there is someone in toronto who would like to work with me on optimizing my board, please contact me. Nice Rack charges quite a bit!!

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
I have a pedaboard and a blues jr. My living conditions would not allow me to record by mic'ing my amp.
My interface is a scarlett 2i2 and also have a line 6 ux2. When I input my pedalboard into my interface and take the output through my KRK Rokits instead of my Blues Jr, the sound isn't recording worthy.

U guys have any suggestions/tips on this? I have amplitube and pod farm, but I like some of my pedals a lot.

On a side note, if there is someone in toronto who would like to work with me on optimizing my board, please contact me. Nice Rack charges quite a bit!!
I replied to your post in the Helix thread, too, but for this one you'll either need to mic up that BJ, or use something like the H&K Redbox to give you a DI out from the BJ. Another option is using a Sansamp or similar pedal to give you amp/speaker emulation instead of using your BJ.

I've recorded tons of stuff using my pedalboard plugged into a Sansamp Tech 21 British pedal and then direct to the board and it sounds quite good after you add a bit of reverb. This is the way to go for completely silent recording, which is what I think you're going for, correct?

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Not even - he doesn't want the BJ making noise (insert joke here).

The scarlet has a DI input so that's a non- issue. I wonder if ManOwarrior can describe how the sound is not good? I see 2 possibilities; The first being that the output of the pedalboard is too hot and clipping the Scarlet's DI Iinput (unlikely, that would be a tad obvious) or it could not be hot enuf, and therefore sound a bit dull with a high noise floor (not quite as obvious). The solution to either of these is to adjust the output level of the last pedal in your chain (though really, take the opportunity to go through the gain staging of the entire chain, there could be problems earlier in the line). A guitar amp will mask noise a bit more than a recording chaini.

The other thing is that you are not getting the tonal effects of 1) the pickup loading the amp's front tend (assuming none of your pedals are bufferred, which would negate that) 2) the BJ preamp section or 3) the speaker

The solution to this is 1) a reamp box (with pickup simulator - easy to DIY) and for 2) and 3) an amp/speaker sim (or even just EQ) in post.

·
Premium Member
17,848 Posts
You need amp sims in your DAW to keep your pedals sounding decent. luckily there are a few good free ones. Google free amp sim VST and away you go.

Also those 2i2's clip real easy and that may be part of your problem.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I don't know about need, but most people find they prefer it that way, sure.

I was recording guitar direct before amp sims were a thing that existed and loved it in certain situations (cleans with a lot of modulation, usually chorus; dirty rarely sounds good like that I will admit). The speaker sim would be the most important part IMHO (especially if trying to capture one's pedalboard sound vs replacing the tone-shaping of the amp) - just like with pickups there are resonant peaks (in the case of a guitar speaker in the upper midrange) that are a thing that guitarists really have learned to like and not want to live without (and why dirty guitar does not sound so great via DI - it cuts the mud a bit). You can achieve a similar effect with a basic EQ - bass cut below 70-150 Hz (-6 to 12 db slope or so) and a good 8-16db boost, medium narrow Q (width), centred in the 1.5-3k range, after which you also roll off the highs. What the EQ won't give you is cone breakup (a form of harmonic distortion).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks a lot. I do have a sansamp GT2 ; I have a modded DS2 and Power Stack which I like. And they both sound way too different out of my KRKs. Will try all your suggestions and report back sometime soon.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
You need a preamp / speaker simulator. I use a Carl Martin Rock Bug pedal at the end of my pedalboard for silent recording and practice. Or you can get real fancy and look into the Two-Notes Torpedo CAB, but you still need a preamp for decent overdrive sounds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts