The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard a few different opinions on this. What are most people using in terms of string guage and does it make a lot of difference with the trem. Leaving out the tone and playability factors.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
GuitarsCanada said:
I have heard a few different opinions on this. What are most people using in terms of string guage and does it make a lot of difference with the trem. Leaving out the tone and playability factors.
Go with anything you like best. All mine are strung with 9's they work the best for me and I have never worried about the tone from my strings I am not that good that I would notice

If you go up or down in sting guages it will make a difference if the Floyd is floting. I have 3 guitars set up with Floyd's 2 of them have a piece of wood set in place preventing the Floyd to be pulled up which is the easiest set up when changing string guages as you will only have to adjust the claw screws in the back if you go up in guages if you go from 10's ti 9's it won't make a difference as there is enough tension from the 10's. The guitar that has the floating trem is very hard to set up if you know how to set this up and most shops will charge a premium to do this as there is quite a bit of tinkering involved (I would not suggest doing this if you have never done it) They work excellent but they MUST be set up right I set up my floating Floyd the other night this took 4.5 hrs. (1) I took every piece on the Floyd off a cleaned and greased them(2)I put every piece back on with the saddles in the same spots as the other Floyd's I have as this was a good starting point(there are 3 different positions on a real Floyd for intonation where you can do this not sure about Ibanez, Jackson or any other Licenced Floyd's)(3)I tried to set this Floyd up with only 2 springs in the back and it was taking too long so I put the third back(4) Tune the guitar so the guitar is in tune(stretch the strings)(5) Check the inntonation to see how close I am was good enought to start set up on the Floyd(GOT LUCKY BECAUSE OF KNOWING WHERE TO START WITH THE OTHER ONES) (6) You want the Floyd to be level if there is too much string pressure the you have to tighten the claw screws in the back if there is too much claw pressure do the opposite.(7) You should not be doing this with the neck laying on something it will throw off the Floyd making it flat sit in an up right position and start the long process of tuning again this will likely take 3-4 times.(8) When you finally get everything in tune and the Floyd looks good you want to tune this a little flat not too much just a bit because when you go to lock the nut the pitch will sharpen(also the fine tuners on the back of the Floyd keep them at 1/2 way this way you can go up or down in pitch without unlocking the Floyd)

Good Luck:D

OFF THE FLOYD ROSE PAGE (They make it sound alot easier that it is)

FLOYD ROSE ORIGINAL TREMOLO - STRING CHANGING INSTRUCTIONS

Step 1:
Unlock the three clamps at the nut with the 3mm allen wrench provided with the guitar or bridge.

Step 2:
Set the fine-tuners on the bridge to the middle of there tuning range.

Step 3:
Change one string at a time (starting at either E string) by first loosening the string and unclamping it at the saddle with the 3mm allen wrench.

Step 4:
Cut the ball end off the replacement string with a pair of wire cutters.

Step 5:
Place the freshly cut string end into the center of the saddle and tighten the clamping screw until it is difficult to turn.

Step 6:
Thread the other end of the string under its nut clamp and under the string hold down bar, then to the tuning key and tune the string. [Pull on the string until it is tight around the tuning key and retune.]

Step 7:
Repeat 2 through 5 until all strings are replaced.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I use 10s, but thats mostly because I had 3 packs of 10s lying around and no 9s, when I changed the strings on my floyd.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts