The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am new to this forum so howdy to you all.

I am thinking of upgrading my home system which is currently an iMac through Scarlett2i4 into a pair of M-Audio BX5 speakers. I play mostly in my converted 12' by 12' bedroom home studio.
I have a few amps that I only use playing out which is very occasionally in these COVID times.
I do own a Carr Raliegh and a Bose S-1 but prefer to play through the computer with Garage band so I can select the different amp and stompboxes available through Garageband rather than the amps because I am lazy, to be honest.
I am thinking of selling my Carr Raleigh so I can purchase a pair of Focals or something like that. As for the interface, I would like something a bit better that will sing sweetly with this setup.
Please let me know your thoughts as to how to get the most pleasing tones in my little room here if you have a good alternative? I am after the best bold sound I can get without the need for excessive volume. Yup, I am getting old. As they say, if it's too f ing loud, you are probably too f ing old!

Thanks to y'all as I welcome the ideas!

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
If you don't find good advice here, the gearslutz forum has a really good studio audio section. When I was researching monitors, I didn't have a huge budget, but read over and over that for a small square room, smaller speakers is better, and that what you have. Bigger speakers and even small subs need overkill treatment.

Knock a wall down and make a bigger room!

·
Premium Member
2,607 Posts
The Scarlett is highly recommended. Why do you want to replace it? Is your room treated? If not, I would spend some money on that. KRK monitors are pretty popular.
Agreed. If you don't have the new V3 scarlett, I do find it a bit quicker than the old version if you're not using the direct monitoring. They all have excellent sound quality, even the little solo. If you need more inputs, a bigger scarlett would be my choice.

My only issue with Scarlett stuff has been some connectivity issues with my older macs. They work just fine on the newer stuff.

I have KRK monitors, I find the V series excellent. The Rokits are good for the price, but they have a bit too much bass emphasis-not nearly as neutral as the V. If you're looking for a killer deal there is a full set including the sub of the old KRK VXT (which is the old V series, they sound really good) at spaceman in Ottawa.

·
Registered
994 Posts
From my limited understanding, I found that it was important to get good quality sound out of your interface, so I went with the Audient ID4 and the KRK Rockit 5 speakers. Killer sound.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.