The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for a new amp (christmas present to me!)
Ive currently got a little 15w washburn practice amp, and its really not doing it for me.

- Looking for something under 300$ (prefer 200-250)
- Decent control for both clean / dirty sound
- For playing rock/alternative (ie: metallica, ACDC, Green day, etc)
- Will not be doing 'show's or playing with a band, just for myself in the basement
- I want something above a little practice amp, without going crazy. I dont need to piss off the neighbours miles away, but would like decent volume out of it. Im thinking 30-90watts, but not bound to that.

Im in the hamilton area, and normally deal with Mountain Music, but im looking for some insight before I actually go in and try things out from those of you who know more then me, and also arent trying to sell me something. Sales people often have a sunny view on products, even when they arent that great.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I strongly advise you (do it lol) to look at the roland cube series and the vox AD series of amps. Great amps for that price range and definately sound great. Lots of versatility too and are quite durable.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I see traynor has a new solid state line out-they might be good I dont know but they have always had a a great warranty and are out of TO.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I strongly advise you (do it lol) to look at the roland cube series and the vox AD series of amps. Great amps for that price range and definately sound great. Lots of versatility too and are quite durable.
+1 on the Roland or Vox amps. Nearly buttetproof and they have some great sounds in them. i know the rolands have a Mesa Boogie type of setting for the recto fans...

·
Premium Member
16,946 Posts
a used Peavey Bandit w/ the blue marvel speaker. mmm good!

·
Registered
515 Posts
I saw a Roland Cube 30 on Toronto Craiglist a day or so ago for $150. Might still be there. Not a bad little amp at all.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...i agree - for this situation the vox modelling amps would be just about perfect.

-dh

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys. im looking for new (christmas gift, to be bought for me).

I was looking at the Line 6, 30Watt today, seemed to work well. How does this compare to the roland of vox?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
garbage. The line 6 stuff...especially the spider range, are nothing compared to the vox and roland stuff.

Get the vox man...seriously...

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have to strongly advise you against the Line 6 Spider. The controls are extremely user-unfriendly...it's too confusing to be used effectively live. I also find it to be a very mediocre sounding amp.

I strongly suggest a Roland Cube 30, or a Traynor DG65R (although that might be a touch pricey, it's very much worth the extra money.)

Andy

·
Registered
515 Posts
I saw a Traynor YCV 40 on Craig's list today. The fellow was asking $400, so it may be a little over your price range, but for $400 bucks its a steal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts