The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about this one for a while, Any recommendations for a Fender Tweed 5E3 Kit??
Really enjoying the pushed small amp tones, my plan is to swap a Celestion Alnico Gold.
If any members have some positive experiences with a Kit (company), please pass it along!

·
Registered
11,265 Posts
I built a Trinity kit but swapped out for Sprague and Jupiter caps. I miss it all the time, great amp, fun project.

·
Registered
11,265 Posts
I have to give lots of credit to those guys for providing some great info and instructions, super educational and easy to follow. It was my first such project and I was a little anxious at first.

·
Premium Member
5,172 Posts
The really good thing about a kit build is that all the parts are there. You don't lose your mind while trying to find all the bits & pieces you need.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
+1 for Trinity amps. Stephen is a great guy who will answer newb questions without attitude. I started with the trifly and then built a plexi. I purchased a chassis for my 5E3 build from Stephen - really like the quality of the stainless steel. I believe Derek Bell builds the cabs for Stephen but I could be wrong about that.

As vadsy suggested, you can also swap out some of the passive components if need you want a higer quality circuit. I recommend sprague as well. I used orange drops and atoms for mine. I also recommend 1/2 watt or (better) 1 watt metal film resistors to help reduce hum.

I think Stephen uses hayboer trannies. Reasonable alternatives include classictone (U.S.), hoffman (you can order at NextGen) or if you like higher quality and have money to burn Mercury Magnetics (U.S.).

Good luck with build!

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Small follow up to my comment about resistors:

I really recommend metal film resistors but not for everything. I like to leave the phase inverter 22k tail resistor and the 100k & 82K phase inverter plate load resistors carbon comp (1 watt preferred) to ensure "vintage" carbon comp tone without generating excess noise.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
17,332 Posts
The really good thing about a kit build is that all the parts are there. You don't lose your mind while trying to find all the bits & pieces you need.
Much wisdom in this comment.

I started to build a Champ 5F1 many years ago by sourcing all of the parts. I lost my mind ....and then my enthusiasm ....and then, lastly, my confidence. The more I read about building amps (which was a lot), the more my fears and apprehensions regarding safety increased.

I'm certain that I would now be playing through my own amp had I bought a kit.

However, I did have fun building some small, low voltage projects and experimenting with my function generator, frequency counter, scope, etc.

@NorlinNorm Please keep us updated through you kit build with a thread. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
Another vote for Trinity, Stephen is awesome. you can email him with any question and he will respond

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did the MojoTone kit. I got the entire kit (incl cab, tubes, speaker), all quality stuff. The whole thing shipped within a couple of days from when I ordered it. The speaker in the kit was a Jensen C12Q. I figured it would do for a while until I could decide what I wanted to replace it with but it sounds great so I left it in.

It was packaged extremely well and all the parts were labeled in indiviual compartments in a plastic parts box. Not much in the way of instructions though, they give you a schematic and a colour coded wiring diagram but there is so much info on the internent about building 5E3 amps. I learned a lot from different websites and videos and incorporated a fair bit of it in my build (grounding schemes, wiring layout techniques and other circuit mods).

The amp worked perfectly from the get-go and is dead quiet. The only issue I had was one of the power tubes' heater filament rattled a bit on low frequency notes. I called MojoTone and they shipped me another set of matched tubes that day. Excellent service. I would buy from them again. They usually have sales during holiday weekends. That's when I ordered mine.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I was leaning to the tubedepot.com 5e3 but it looks like the Trinity is 2 channels, and has better components. It is almost twice the price though.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I was leaning to the tubedepot.com 5e3 but it looks like the Trinity is 2 channels, and has better components. It is almost twice the price though.
All 5e3's kits have the same 2 channel 4 input design ,as the interactive channels are what makes the 5e3 so special .

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
If you want to save money in the build ,buy the trannys local from Hammond or Get them from next gen along with the tube sockets & source a fender style chassis from Mojotone or ask Trinity to sell you one . you will have to do a little work like making a cab . & have a rough ideal how to build an amp

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Ah, shows what I know. So you can link the channels with a cable like a Marshall or do you mix them with a volume or other knob? I thought they were just straight forward single channel amps.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts