The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about my last thread about sounding too heavy, if my gig next weekend is cancelled we should use the weekend to jam and learn 4 or 5 new tunes.

Recommend me some classic rock tunes that we could whip up quickly.
Do not say "Brown Eyed Girl", or "Free Bird" or anything too cheezy.

We cover bands like Zep, Hendrix, Floyd, DP, etc... Every week we get asked to play something by Metalicca, so we'll probably add something from them, but I'm thinking along the lines of Rolling Stones, Beatles etc...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'd love to do some April Wine again, but with only 1 guitarist, it's a bit tough to cover. Of course, if Mr.Henman is in the area looking to play a few songs with a very talented cover band....:tongue:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Don't know what your likes are James but we do a version of after midnight more along the lines of JJ but have livened it up a bit, not quite as much as EC's version but a little to the funky side. Also do a take on an old classic Feelin alright, great for working dynamically. A few stops etc usually goes over fairly well. Also have our own take on misty mountain hop by zep that seems to be working. It's funny but CCR seems to be popular also, we crunched up a version of born on the bayou and again it goes over well with the crowd. Anyway just a couple thoughts.....

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Our band does upbeat versions of Eleanor Rigby, Back in Ussr and Day Tripper that the crowds love and request all the time. What I like about you is always a huge hit and so is Turning Japanese. Not sure if this what you are looking for but I'd thought I'd offer what the crowds here in my part of the prairies like.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
james on bass said:
uhmm, yes.
haha. BAM!

oh and what about free bird? That's a good song.

jk jk.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
james on bass said:
I figured you for someone with a full set of real teeth.
:confused-smiley-010 i'm missing a tooth on the bottom...it never grew in.

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
Allman Brothers. You can stretch the tunes out a bit too. But again, one guitar, hmm

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
"Nostalgia isn't what it used to be..."

"Stealin'" - Uriah Heap

"Home in My Hand" - Foghat

"Dancing Madly Backwards" - Captain Beyond

"Apricot Brandy" - Rhinoceros

If you've got a harp player you might add "Hoy Hoy Hoy" by Crowbar and King Biscuit Boy.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, with one guitar and bass, we still manage to pull off 3 Floyd tunes, as well as some other stuff that requires a 2nd guitar and / or keys. Just gives me more room to walk the bass. :cool:

I've actually gleaned a few tunes from here that I'm going to suggest to the band. And, as of right now, we still don't know if we're playing next weekend or not.

I played them for my wife who has never seen my band, nor does she want to and she says she'd be humming along if a band was playing these...

Cinnamon Girl
Bad Company
Saturday Night's alright for Fighting
Day Tripper.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Robert1950 said:
Allman Brothers. You can stretch the tunes out a bit too. But again, one guitar, hmm
Actually, the one thing we don't need is filler - just some short catchy tunes.

We always play 3 sets and have 4 at our disposal.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Hush.....Deep Purple
Fat Bottom Girls.....Queen
Stay with Me....Rod and the Faces
Mississipi Queen....Mountain
Bad and Nationwide....ZZ Top
Hey Hey (what can I do)....Zeppelin

Just a few tunes I like that you don,t get in bars much anymore.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
how about la grange...zz top.

·
Registered
874 Posts
People seem to like the older ZZ.....Mexican Blackbird, Heard it on the X, Jesus just left Chicago, Funky Dogs and Nasty Kings, Just got Paid, Blue Jean Blues, 10 Foot pole...etc.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
we have great luck with Tush. Crossroads always goes over well too. I fought the law by the Clash. Ramones stuff always seem to get the crowd boppin to.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts