The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’d like to get a decent mic for recording some short samples of amp mods. I don’t want to invest in a full recording rig and was hoping to just use my iPhone, iPad or Macbook. I see iRig has a new version of their lightening equipped mic. Has anyone tried one, or can recommend something else?

E53578BA-EDCA-4C5C-A2BF-28A1450810E3.jpeg

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
subscribed

I'd like to record jams using my phone, would be good to have a nicer mic than the onboard phone one

edit,,. I was checking out the Shure MV88 after someone posted one for sale here but some light reading and a youtube demo is as far as I got

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Love my Apogee MiC. They're a little spendy, but I spent $80 on mine for a used example (two others for around the same price on kijiji at the time). Doesn't work like an SM_ or e609 where you can just shove it up to the grill and blast away though.

·
Premium Member
8,480 Posts
I think I have that shure mic (mv-88) for sale with the add-on kit if interested.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Refering to my iRig acoustic mic try, did mic do so much better than direct iPad mic ?
I mean, ain't the ipad limitations in sound management the weakest part ?

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Refering to my iRig acoustic mic try, did mic do so much better than direct iPad mic ?
I mean, ain't the ipad limitations in sound management the weakest part ?
For acoustic volume levels the build in mic is probably fine, I know that the MV-88 handles loud signals MUCH better. Recording loud room mixes with the iPad or iPhone mic it was just a mess, all jumbled together with no discernible bass or drums. With the MV-88 its well balanced, and you can adjust the gain very easily with the app. The Shure app is pretty basic but very easy to use. It does distort if the gain is in the upper yellow or red, and its not a nice sound, so I tend to set it a bit lower than some other preamps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts