The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm getting some new strings tomorrow, and I want to try something new. I play an Epison (Epiphone and gibson mixed - epiphone guitar, all hardware, electronics, knobs, switchs, even the small pickguard are gibson) SG. The music I play is Noise-rock. Stuff like Melt Banana, The Melvins and Fantomas. So..let me know what I should try out. If it makes a difference, I use metal picks. I think they are Dunlop Teck Picks, and I do alot of pick scratching. Thanks.

EDIT - Oh. Please also list the string gauge. One more thing - I need some strings with as much sustain as possible.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Hi,

Just posted my love for Dean Markley Blue Steel strings in the poll thread. They stay in tune, don't break easy and are quite bright with good sustain.

I play with the Mediums (11 with the wound "G"), but for metal, your fingers will probably get tired quick with that heavy gague. They go 5 sets lighter, with 8 being their lightest.

Cheers!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I definatly like the idea of having a wound G. And after something like 16 years of playing with heavy strings, I doubt my fingers will get tired ;) lol.

I'll definatly grab a pack.

Anyone else got a suggestion?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess it should be noted that for as long as I can remember I have been using Ernie Ball strings. I have tried all their types, so no one needs to recommend those.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey I just thought of something. Would having a wound G be better or worse for natural harmonics? You know...when you just rest your finger on the string and hit it with your string? What do you find it's like?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Just posted my love for Dean Markley Blue Steel strings in the poll thread. They stay in tune, don't break easy and are quite bright with good sustain.!
Hands down the best strings I've played, much better than GHS, Dunlop and anything else I've tried. They stay bright for months it seems.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guy's....I'm in love with these strings...

I didnt know they came with both a wound and an unwound G. Thats awesome. It's like a little bonus! Thanks for recommending them, I don't think I'll be switching strings anytime soon.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm having a problem...

I'm all tuned up. But! The notes that I usually hear when playing a power chord on the 7th fret of the A string, is coming out only when I play a power chord on the 8th fret of the A string. Now, I completely SUCK when it comes to tunings and stuff. I think I have to tune it up? I dunno. I'm stuck and I can't figure it out, and I'm getting frustrated and I want to set my house on fire. Please help before I do something dumb..

·
Registered
944 Posts
Wood spot on the string?

I noticed I had to readjust the saddle height/length for the "D" and "B", not the "A" though.

I thought it was the way the shipping mis-adjusted things...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got it, It turns out, I'm just an impatient idiot who doesn't like to let the strings stretch themselves out. I just needed to stretch them up a bunch and then tune back to where I had it. Me for the fail...

Although, Since getting my SG, I haven't touched the sattles, or fine tuned the height of them and all that...I'd be interested in learning how adjusting them makes the strings sound different. I notice that some of them are higher then others (but not by much), is that normal? I really need someone here who knows what they are doing to show me.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Ah, strings not tensilized.... the bane of the newbie (me included!!!)

Now they are, notice how long it'll be between needing to retune them ;)

I read in a guitar magazine how to adjust the sads by use of harmonics. I dunno if that's the right procedure, so I won't quote it here.

Cheers!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hahaha newbie....not exactly. I just havent changed strings in months, forgot I had to do that. lol. But yeah, now that they are all good, I really like them. I really like the fact that they come with 2 G strings. I've got the wound one on there now, it sounds good. Nice sustain, Easy hamonics, Nice and slinky. I did the "flip over the stopbar" method of putting my strings on, I really dig it.I'm pretty impressed right now with my guitar. I didn't burn down my house either :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts