The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, kind of like me, my laptop is getting old and slowing down. Can you computer savvy guitar players recommend a decent free (I'm cheap!) program that can clean up/speed up my laptop?

Thanks eh

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got that one... the "free" version does next to nothing, really, so you need to shell out $$$ for more of a clean up. But thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
The free version of CCleaner does more than enough. If you use the registry cleaner very often you will end up with problems. Since Windows 7 Windows does a reasonable job on it's own. CCleaner is a useful tool to clean up temp files, cookies, etc. Beyond that unless you are very knowledgeable about the inner workings of Windows I recommend that people just leave well enough alone. I work on computers for my living, mostly corporate accounts but I'm often called on to look at home computers as well. The most problems I see are from people that don't really know what they are doing trying to speed up Windows. To speed up Windows uninstall all programs you are not using on a regular basis then run the basic cleanup function in CCleaner.

·
Administrator
404 Posts
The free CCleaner does all the same cleaning that the paid one does. Run it, then use the tools to turn off most of the things that start when you boot your laptop. This will give you a significant boost. Then, check for registry errors. Fix them.

Then, install and run Malwarebytes. The free version, again, does everything the paid one does (for cleaning).

Add an SD card or spare USB and take advantage of the Ready Boost function.

Run the latest version of Firefox.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Before putting money in any gadget or software, you can do most necessary work by yourself :
0- Have a starting CD Aand a copy of your hard drive just in case
(It could be external hard drive; I have a slave on my PC though I never needed do use it);
1- look up "temp" sub-file in "Windows" file : erase the garbage stocked there
2- check out "properties" (right button of the mouse) of your C:/ : clean the disk
3- repeat item 2 but instead of cleaning, ask for system files et clean that garbage too.
4- still under the "properties" tool, analyse fragmentation and defrag your hard drive if needed.
All that could take many many minutes (let's have a beer... or two !) for the first time...
You should do that monthly, it will be faster (a coffee, maybe !)
I did not find CCCleaner free edition to do more than that.

You could also avoid loading at opening many softwares you do not use every day, or, put them low priority... Another ball game though.

If a PC is automated to connect to the web, many software (especially Windows !) who look and download updates even though you may not be aware of that : it slows your PC opening and generates much garbage ! You may disable some of these automated researches... Windows constantly use these functions for self upgrading, a pain in the a.. if you want to use you PC for only a minute to look up an info. That's why I prefer my iPad for minute's info.

Reactions: Diablo
1 - 6 of 6 Posts