The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am after a dedicated top notch, versatile STEREO Swell Effects Pedal (no, not a volume pedal where you make your own swell... got that already).

Anybody?

·
Premium Member
25,163 Posts
You're going to need something digital. Analog swell units are finicky enough. Triggering swells in stereo would be maddening.

But here's an idea to pursue. My Line 6 Echo Park delay has a swell setting for the delay. It also lets you dial the dry signal completely out so that all you hear is the wet swelling. Since a short delay is largely iaudible when swelling from silence, I dial the delay to min. The pedal has two channels, but a ittle bit of what comes in A goes out of B in addition to the A output, and vice versa for B. I imagine there ae other digital pedals you can do that sort of thng with.

·
Premium Member
17,384 Posts
Timeline, bigsky.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
I believe a lot of the Boss multi-fx units have the Slow Gear built into them.

I also believe Behringer makes a copy of the Slow Gear.

The EHX POG 2 has a swell function on it. They say it's swell. :)

·
Premium Member
25,163 Posts
I believe a lot of the Boss multi-fx units have the Slow Gear built into them.

I also believe Behringer makes a copy of the Slow Gear.

The EHX POG 2 has a swell function on it. They say it's swell. :)
Behringer does make a Slow Gear clone, but I'd stay clear of it. A digital unit will provide more reliable triggering.

I'm still unclear about why a stereo unit is required.

·
Premium Member
25,163 Posts
To go to two different amps at the same time?
Yes, but a person could use a single swell pedal and feed that to a stereo pedal that takes one in and gives two out. A stereo swell pedal would assume that there are two discrete signals, but their swell triggering would not necessarily be synced. That's why I'm comfused.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Yes, but a person could use a single swell pedal and feed that to a stereo pedal that takes one in and gives two out. A stereo swell pedal would assume that there are two discrete signals, but their swell triggering would not necessarily be synced. That's why I'm comfused.
Nah...

What if you just want to use the one pedal and nothing else?

For example, one amp that's totally dry, and the other amp has reverb and tremolo built in?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Behringer does make a Slow Gear clone, but I'd stay clear of it. A digital unit will provide more reliable triggering.

I'm still unclear about why a stereo unit is required.
My home rig is all stereo. No amp. Stereo effects feed into mixer and to powered speakers. Mono is sooooooo yesterday

·
Premium Member
17,384 Posts
Sounds like you need an axe-fx.

·
Premium Member
25,163 Posts
My home rig is all stereo. No amp. Stereo effects feed into mixer and to powered speakers. Mono is sooooooo yesterday
You won't find a bigger advocate of stereo and parallel processing than me. I've pestered several big-name company-owners that they don't do nearly enough to tout the stereo features of their pedals. But the reality is that swell effects, whether mono or stereo, digital or analog, depend on triggering. That is, identifying that the note (and accompanying swell) starts NOW. If one is feeding two different signals and wishes to have both of them shaped by swell effects, then I suppose a dual-channel device holds some utility. But if the signal source is a single guitar, even if you end up feeding it to a stereo reverb or stereo chorus, etc., the "start" of the note comes from one instrument, which, even if the swell unit is "stereo", is a singular event.

There is something I'm missing here. With the info I have, I'm not seeing the need for such a device (which would explain why there aren't many, or even any, on the market), and your use of stereo processing doesn't fully explain the need. Give me an example of how you would use it, that will make the lights go on for me. I'm not being critical. I'm just having a hard time imagining a signal path that would make such a stereo device seeming like the only logical choice.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
You won't find a bigger advocate of stereo and parallel processing than me. I've pestered several big-name company-owners that they don't do nearly enough to tout the stereo features of their pedals. But the reality is that swell effects, whether mono or stereo, digital or analog, depend on triggering. That is, identifying that the note (and accompanying swell) starts NOW. If one is feeding two different signals and wishes to have both of them shaped by swell effects, then I suppose a dual-channel device holds some utility. But if the signal source is a single guitar, even if you end up feeding it to a stereo reverb or stereo chorus, etc., the "start" of the note comes from one instrument, which, even if the swell unit is "stereo", is a singular event.

There is something I'm missing here. With the info I have, I'm not seeing the need for such a device (which would explain why there aren't many, or even any, on the market), and your use of stereo processing doesn't fully explain the need. Give me an example of how you would use it, that will make the lights go on for me. I'm not being critical. I'm just having a hard time imagining a signal path that would make such a stereo device seeming like the only logical choice.
You’re getting in way too deep for my (very) low-tech savvy. Look, I have a stereo rig, I’d like a good swell effect in the chain. Maybe there is such a thing. Maybe there isn’t. I don’t know (I am not at all into gear, actually. Just a great pleasing sound out of my guitar playing is what I want. That’s it). But your tutorial / lesson is noted and appreciated. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
25,163 Posts
Well, apart from the gymnastics that can be done with some delay pedals, and maybe even some of the less exotic multi-function pedals like the Line 6 M5 and equivalents, I'm guessing there is nothing out there dedicated explicitly to the purpose you seek. But good luck in your hunt!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
So, at the end of the day, you may have to choose a mono solution and put it after your mono guitar and before your stereo effects.

·
Premium Member
17,384 Posts
How do I get swells from the Timeline?
I sold mine but i know it does it. Pretty sure its called swell. Or you can use reverse delay for a very similar sound.

·
Premium Member
25,163 Posts
Strymon's site indicates the following use of the "Swell" program:

"Variable swell time allows you to match the swell with the delay time. Turn the Mix to full wet and turn up the repeats for ethereal ambient effects. Adjust the Rise Time to set the time constant for the swell effect. Add some Smear to soften the attacks—smearing transients while retaining full frequency response."

The trick is to set it for the shortest delay possible so that the notes seem to swell from the point that you pick them. Otherwise it can get disorienting to have the notes start well after you initiate them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts