The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found an old Piper (Garnet) amp I posted about elsewhere. It does not have reverb. Suddenly I realize that reverb is a big part of my sound. Most of the amps I've had have had a spring reverb which I usually set around 8:00 or 9:00 o'clock, just barely on. I have a Blackstar HT1R which I use mostly with headphones which has a built in digital reverb which I usually set around 3:00 o'clock to get a similar tone to the spring reverbs in my other amps. I'm looking for a reverb pedal that will get me similar tone, i.e a touch of spring reverb.

·
Premium Member
8,456 Posts
If you buy and hang on to the Carl Martin Headroom, you won't have any issues in the future with Reverb less amps

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
If you can solder, build your own from a BYOC kit.
I have a Reverb2 pedal, and it's all the reverb I'd ever need. A fairly easy build...........

·
Registered
11,019 Posts
I went from nothing but real spring reverb to only digital and after many pedal tryouts I use a Boss RV6 on one of my boards. Very happy with it and it only cost me $120. It offers many options so it isn't a one trick pony. I'd recommend it.

·
Registered
24,146 Posts
Given that you haven't had that amp for all that long, it may be premature to ask this question, but: Is this going to be an amp you play totally clean, or is there something about pushing the front end hard that you find appealing? Sometimes that can determine what the optimal reverb approach is.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Shop Canadian! SolidGoldFX Surf Rider Surf Rider III
Having that second stomp is fun when you want to go all out surf. Runs on 9V supply. Beware the Topanga sounds best when using 12V (which can be a pain to figure out). At 9V I found it so-so.

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Given that you haven't had that amp for all that long, it may be premature to ask this question, but: Is this going to be an amp you play totally clean, or is there something about pushing the front end hard that you find appealing? Sometimes that can determine what the optimal reverb approach is.
That's a really good question. I mostly plays blues and 60's, 70's rock. Tom Petty, Stones, Beatles, etc. but mostly the blues. With my other amps I play straight into the amp with very occasional use of a Boss blues driver when practicing at home. If I need dirt I use the amp's drive channel. I've already decided I'll probably need to use the blues driver a lot more with this amp. It is really loud to get natural breakup and it only has one channel. I think I'm mostly looking for a reverb pedal that has a good spring reverb tone. Not really interested in a lot of options.

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whats the budget?
Cheap as possible :) I'm going to the big smoke (Vancouver) tomorrow to hit up a few stores to see what they have used. Best I can find on the local CL is a Boss RV-5 for $90. The YouTube demos sound OK on room or spring.

·
Registered
24,146 Posts
The reason I ask is because if one plays clean, then in many respects a reverb pedal in front of the amp won't behave all that differently from an amp with built-in reverb. The amp's tone controls will shape the reverb tone as well as the guitar tone. If, on the other hand, one expects to punish the amp's front end a bit then hitting it with a reverbed signal may not elicit the desired overdrive tone from the amp. In those instances, it is preferred to tap the amp's preamp stage at some point, feed a parallel path to reverb of some kind, and blend the reverb in with the amp's overdrive sound.

The big qualification there is that not all desirable amp sounds come from the preamp stage, especially if it is a non-master-vol amp. In many of those cases, the magic is more from the power stage, such that it makes not a bit of difference whether one's reverb is a pedal ahead of the amp's input jack or a spring pan inside the amp; you'd still be trying to push the power stage with a reverbed signal one way or the other.

All in all - and this is entirely subject to your preferences - my sense is that the most pragmatic solution is to get your overdrive from a pedal, feed that to a reverb pedal, and try to run the amp as clean as possible. BUt that's me, and ther are always plenty of interesting and musically-valid exceptions to the rule.

·
Premium Member
16,635 Posts
Cheap as possible :) I'm going to the big smoke (Vancouver) tomorrow to hit up a few stores to see what they have used. Best I can find on the local CL is a Boss RV-5 for $90. The YouTube demos sound OK on room or spring.
That is a very good price on the RV-5, and they sound quite nice. I rented one when one of my pedals was down and had no complaints. I'm not sure you'll find much better for $90 haha.

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is a very good price on the RV-5, and they sound quite nice. I rented one when one of my pedals was down and had no complaints. I'm not sure you'll find much better for $90 haha.
Thank you for reminding me. I can rent one to see how I like it.

·
Registered
24,146 Posts
Get an EHX Canyon. For the money yu get a decent reverb with powerful controls... and a whole bunch of other effects for free!

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
the mxr m300 sounds nice

·
Registered
750 Posts
I was looking into the Boss RV-3 for a while and came very close to get one for under $100. But then I found out how to use the effects on my Tonelab EX, without having to go through cabinet and amp sims. I now have every pedal I would ever need.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts