The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I just saw The Life Of David Gale, last weekend. I found it in the older movies section. Probably the best movie I've seen in years. If you have'nt seen it, I gaurantee you, it will not disappoint. Kevin Spacey is the main character.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
"Well, I liked it..."

Have you ever watched the movie "Still Crazy"?

It's a British producition about a band that was on top during the 70's and due to the usual personality problems had been almost forgotten 20 years later. There's a pretext to get back together for a big concert and a warmup tour full of angst and nostalgia where they work out their earlier immature failings, at least to some extent.

It's nearly as funny as Spinal Tap with a serious side more realistic than Crossroads. The comedian Billy Conally plays their roadie - the character steals the show.

To me perhaps the best thing is how for the soundtrack they actually hired big name writers who had grown up through those times to write new material in the old style. It's like hearing album cuts that somehow you had missed the first time around...almost spooky but very enjoyable.

Just a suggestion...

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
If you haven't seen "Lord of War" get that. It's great.

·
Premium Member
5,065 Posts
Any genre of movie you like in particular?

Comedy - a season of Reno 911, I thought Click was pretty good, Waiting

Sci-fi/Horror - Night Watch, Serenity, The Descent

Music - Walk The Line

Action - Kill Bill 1 & 2

So stupid it's great - Slither

Can't really go wrong renting seasons of TV shows when chilling for a weekend. I agree with Boondock Saints as well.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Wild Bill said:
Have you ever watched the movie "Still Crazy"?
It's a British producition about a band that was on top during the 70's and due to the usual personality problems had been almost forgotten 20 years later. There's a pretext to get back together for a big concert and a warmup tour full of angst and nostalgia where they work out their earlier immature failings, at least to some extent.
It's nearly as funny as Spinal Tap with a serious side more realistic than Crossroads. The comedian Billy Conally plays their roadie - the character steals the show.
To me perhaps the best thing is how for the soundtrack they actually hired big name writers who had grown up through those times to write new material in the old style. It's like hearing album cuts that somehow you had missed the first time around...almost spooky but very enjoyable.
Just a suggestion...

..."still crazy" is an absolute classic. i hope to own the dvd one day.

-dh

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
..."the other" w/nicole kidman is one of the best and most unusual ghost stories i've seen.

if you haven't bothered to watch "schindler's list", do it. i put it off for years because i am usually looking for something "entertaining". trust me, you'll wish you had watched it sooner.

"liberty heights" is an overlooked "coming-of-age in the 50s" classic - barry levinson.

i watched "lucky slevin" last night. surprisingly good, but very homophobic, unfortunately.

-dh

·
Registered
788 Posts
Owning Mahony if you haven't seen it.

Broken Flowers.

both dark and depressing but clear from the beaten path:tongue:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts