The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my Alto TS110A monitors has bit the dust and the price of parts is such that I'm considering a replacement. Alto no longer makes the 110 but sells a 310 that they claim is better and more powerful. It's also $339 which is about $70 more than I paid for the 110. It also has a different appearance. I had hoped to get one that cosmetically matched but seeing as the 110s are disconnected then I am considering all alternatives.

The speaker will be used 90% for stage monitoring and I was pretty happy with the Alto in that role but I'm maybe a little gun-shy on their brand and would consider paying a bit more to get a bit better sound, quality, and warranty.

Recommendations?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hard to beat the Alto’s for the money. Behringer are similar price and sound good, until they die which is quite often from my experience. EV are a bit more but sound really nice and seem to be quite tough - although always seem to have pull 400hz down a few dB.

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I said I really liked my Altos but the one didn't make it 3 years before it died so I'm a little anxious. Long and McQuade has got the Cerwin Vega cve-10 on sale right now for $399. Not sure how good they might be but they at least have a 3-year warranty. Any experience with these?

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Yorkville YX series in a 10 in is great for monitors. 200 watts or about not heavy and rugged. You can pick them up as demo's if they have any for sale at L+M.

·
Premium Member
16,492 Posts
As I said I really liked my Altos but the one didn't make it 3 years before it died so I'm a little anxious. Long and McQuade has got the Cerwin Vega cve-10 on sale right now for $399. Not sure how good they might be but they at least have a 3-year warranty. Any experience with these?
I used some of these for a few shows. They have good power, but I found them pretty mid heavy. I had to cut 400hz and neighboring frequencies quite a bit to keep them from sounding boxy and honky in the mids.

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
If your lucky, you might find one of these used within $100 of your price range. Yorky NX10C:

A really great monitor, loud and with the concentric driver config, it doesn't take up much space. I know a guy that uses a couple as mains (with one sub). I keep my eyes open at L&M for a nice used one - haven't lucked out yet.

Reactions: marcos

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used some of these for a few shows. They have good power, but I found them pretty mid heavy. I had to cut 400hz and neighboring frequencies quite a bit to keep them from sounding boxy and honky in the mids.
I've heard that about the Cerwins. I'd seriously consider the Alto TS310 as it reviews really well. What I can't stand is that the company does not publish their warranty info and you you actually have to email them to get the information. That's suspect - especially after the one died on me.

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yorkville YX series in a 10 in is great for monitors. 200 watts or about not heavy and rugged. You can pick them up as demo's if they have any for sale at L+M.
One band I'm in uses the unpowered ones and they work great. A friend of mine in Ajax used the powered ones as monitors and really liked them but ran into a couple breakdowns to the point that I think he's switched to Line6.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
If your lucky, you might find one of these used within $100 of your price range. Yorky NX10C:

A really great monitor, loud and with the concentric driver config, it doesn't take up much space. I know a guy that uses a couple as mains (with one sub). I keep my eyes open at L&M for a nice used one - haven't lucked out yet.
These are just awesome with small bass bins. I had a chance to try a set out a t a gig a few years ago. Insane amount of power in a small box.

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a quick update: I found a used pair of Yamaha DBR10's that I'm picking up this afternoon and will try them out at tonight's gig. Although I only wanted one it will be nice to have a matched pair. What sealed the deal is that there was still 6 years left on the transferrable warranty. Alto doesn't even disclose their warranty, Cerwin was 3 years and most others only one. The Yammys also review very well so I don't think I can lose. Will report back tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Just a quick update: I found a used pair of Yamaha DBR10's that I'm picking up this afternoon and will try them out at tonight's gig. Although I only wanted one it will be nice to have a matched pair. What sealed the deal is that there was still 6 years left on the transferrable warranty. Alto doesn't even disclose their warranty, Cerwin was 3 years and most others only one. The Yammys also review very well so I don't think I can lose. Will report back tomorrow.
Good choice. You can't go wrong with Yamaha IMO. I like the versatility of these. They can also be used as mains for a small venue.

DBR10.JPG

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update: So I picked up the Yamahas yesterday afternoon and firstly tried them with an ipod and my small mixer. Wow - these things really packed a punch and will get some duty at parties around the pool next year. Took them to the gig and they were awesome. Loud and clear. Small and light. Set the DSP to "monitor" and the highpass to 100hz to avoid transients from the kick and bass amp and they were perfect. Very happy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts