The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This recording stuff would be new to me. What's the easiest way to go for recording guitar and voice with computers/tablets? I currently have a ACER laptop/tablet running Win 10 and an Samsung note 4. But I'm contemplating getting a dedicated music tablet. Apple seems to have way more options but I've never been an apple guy so that would take some learning.

What are you guys using along with what software and other essentials? I realize this is a VERY broad question so links to articles and info(preferably not trying to sell me one idea over another) would be a big help. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
I use garageband for occasional recording. It is free with many apple products. I use a MacBook Air and an iPad. I much prefer the MacBook over the iPad. I find the iPhone too small. You can't see enough on the screen. The actual quality of the finished recording is the same with all of them. It's just easier to see what you're doing on a laptop screen. I use an Apogee Jam interface. Garageband is not high end by any means but it is free if you have a Mac. The Jam is around $100 and works with the Mac, iPad, and iPhone. I've been playing mostly acoustic and singing lately so I'm thinking of getting a USB mic to use with it. Garageband will give you a good idea of what can be done and how things work. If you eventually move on to a pro setup you'll have a much better idea of what to look for. For me, garageband easily is good enough.

·
Premium Member
4,244 Posts
A friend of mine used an Ipad with Auria Pro and a Focusrite iTrack Solo before doing the big jump and buy a computer and real audio interface.
This setup was really nice and portable. We did some demos with it.

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
ipad/tablet are a toys. The surface is a proper desktop replacement; not in the same league.

Depends how serious you are.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts