The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this really nice material and a customer for a guitar, so I'm starting with the body and will do 4 total so I have some extra's.

All this info on this lumber can be found here in this thread - Score

The material is all 1" thick and right off the bandsaw, so max thickness you could dress is about 7/8", I went to 13/16" so I could get them dead flat, finishing up with a total body thickness (inc the veneer layer) of 1.70 inches.

Because of the thickness limitation, construction will be the same as Fender uses for the all Rosewood Tele's - two layers of material with a Maple veneer in the centre.

Here we go,

One face jointed, thickness planed to 13/16", edge jointed and ready to glue.

4 bodies = 16 pcs so I dressed 18, I weighed each one and went over them for grain and colour, then glued them up to make panels like so.

For added Mojo I used some flame Maple veneer stitched up with Urea glue... you may ask yourself, if you can't see the flames is the Mojo still present, I say yes.

2 panels with a Maple veneer in the centre make the finished blank.

I'm on Holidays and wasn't driving back to the shop to cut these on the cnc, so figured I'd use the long hard method, one of my templates and a 1 1/2hp Porter Cable, I can now tell you driving would have been a lot easier.

Here's the first one.

More to follow

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This lumber is so nice to work with, it's so well seasoned and the pitch is 100% cured, making it really stable and giving it a glass like sound when tapped.

The colour is very nice rusty amber and quite uniform across all the pieces, as is the grain. **all the screw holes from the template will be gone when the pup cavities are routed.

This stuff is so petrified and stable it machines like metal.

You can see the Maple veneer here.

Quartered material with really tight rings gives you nice even faces, and wild grain on the sides.

Tomorrow; back to the router.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm spraying today so i gave this body with a double coat of clear nitro sanding sealer, it's outside to dry so lets have a look at the colour in the sunlight.

This pic seems to be a good representation of what it looks like now, a scuff sand and a clear lacquer and it'll be time for an slightly amber shade coat.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sealer is dry and sanded.

It's time for the liquid gold, the Goudey's nc lacquer, with a touch of ochre and umber universal colours, and then some time in mason jars in the shop window.

This stuff somewhat evens out the colour tone, and when you alternate it with coats of straight clear, it brings out the depth of the grain nicely.

Hoping to end up with something that highlights the natural earthen rusty gold colour of the Fir, here's the juice sitting in the sun today to give you an idea of colour...

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
Cool!

Apparently I may have missed out on the century swamp ash at a relative's place, big bummer if so.

·
Super Moderator
15,742 Posts
Awesome! You really do great work.

Well I'm packing up the spray gear for today, one thing nice about woods like Pine and Fir in particular is how fast you can build the finish.

Here's the net result of two colour coats separated by two clear coats...

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
First one sanded to 220 and ready to spray, it's going to be clear nitro with a very slight amber tint.

With a stock Fender pick guard, fits perfect.

Making me Gassy, if the gear fund was in better shape I'd be asking about prices ;)
Excited to see the final product.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yesterday was a good day, I picked up another order for one of these Fircasters. This time in a natural finished thinline version with 70's Strat headstock and buckers, which should be interesting, I'll post in this thread when I get going on it.

Also yesterday - customer was choosing neck blanks for the guitar above and wanted Birdseye, so I brought 4 flatsawn quilted blanks just plastered with birdseye's to choose from - I also brought a couple partially complete flame quartersawn necks I made back in 2009 and had put aside because they were so nice.

Here's the birdseye blanks.

He ended up choosing this flamed neck because it's a bit more conservative and probably goes better with the body, this neck is nicely quartered and covered in flecks, it's also heavily flamed which you'll see as soon as the colour goes on. Time to start cutting fretwire...

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
I got 3 chords of pine in my storage area if anyone wants some.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts