The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...my daughter gave me a baby taylor as a gift a few years ago, which is designed for travel and to fit easily in the overhead compartment when flying. i enjoyed one successful flight this way. after 9-11, everything changed. i've tried calling ahead, but what they tell me is that they won't make a decision until i get to the airport.

on a couple of short flights, i was told i could not take the guitar on board and it would have to be checked with regular baggage. the case is a softshell gig bag. the attendant assured me that it would be babied and, sure enough, it was, but these were small airlines (jetsgo, eg). you can be sure the larger airlines won't give this kind of personal service.

another thing to watch out for is insurance. i met a troubadour in denmark a couple of years ago whose vintage martin ended up as a pile of splinters on an overseas flight. he thought: no problem, i'll just claim the insurance. sadly, the airlines insure goods BY WEIGHT. i think he told me he ended up with something like $40.

bottom line: if i'm travelling long distances, i won't take my guitar.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.