The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey friends,

*First time Poster*

Some of you might cringe when you see what I'm going to do, but I have set my mind on fixing up this beast.
The project:
1970's Raven Thinline Tele copy.
What I have to work with- The neck and body
How much money do I want to spend- I'm open here, well within reason.
Backstory- I bought this guitar in 2004 ish from a music store just north of Sudbury for maybe $100. I always wanted a Thinline tele but being in my early 20's I never could really afford one, so I bought this thing instead. I loved it and played it all the time. It had some weird aftermarket pickups in it and it didn't sound like a tele, but it played so amazing. The neck on this guitar plays so nice.
Fast forward a few years and I took it a part to rebuild a bit of the electronics and while it was apart our basement flooded and I lost all of the components, tuners, bridge- Everything. Only reason the guitar lived is for some reason I had it upstairs.

So now I've been staring at this thing and I'd like to get in playing again but I need to start from the beginning and I was hoping you could help with the starting moments I need to get this to work.

Do you like questions? Cause I have Questions:
Sizing for the right size bridge? This has me most concerned. I'm hoping its fairly to fender spec and a fender, or a 3rd party one designed for a fender will fit? Any ideas? I'm open to different brands and ideas.

Do you think a prebuilt pick guard with electronics is the way to go? Again, would one fit? Now I know this is a loaded question, but even though I've been playing guitar for almost 25 years this is my first full rebuild. Again, I'm open to all ideas and thoughts.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jay, and what a wonderful first post it is!
Really glad that you will put new life into your Raven.

There are a lot of great people here that will help you for sure,

yours truly
Bojan

·
Premium Member
17,309 Posts
I copied this from Google images. Does this look something like your original?
It might help when discussing the rebuild.

Great looking guitar!

I'll be following this thread....

·
Administrator
15,979 Posts
All I will say is "be careful" :) I recently picked up Laristotles mid 70's Mann Tele (MIJ lawsuit) and NOTHING is standard on this guitar. That includes the pickguard, bridge plate, humbucker is smaller than standard, the bridge single coil mounting is also different. So while everything looks the same, it's not. In my case I'm likely going to have both pups rewound by a local tech, and get a custom pickguard made to match the existing. I really love the neck on this guitar and I'm willing to put some time and money into it. Here's a link to his original thread.

edit - forgot to mention the string spacing is also a little narrower than usual.

NGD '75 MIJ FujiGen Tele

L

·
0 Posts
Tnx for posting that Dave. I was going to do the same. lol.
(btw, I'm glad to hear that you're liking it. I'm liking yours too)

Welcome to the forum Jay.
As Dave stated, the parts on those old MIJ beauties are just a tad undersized to Fender spec.
Ravens were made by Matsumoku, so you have a good base to start with.
Except maybe that split in the back. Is the body solid otherwise?

·
Administrator
15,979 Posts
As an aside the very first guitar i owned was a Raven bass, copy of an SG, nice guitar. That was in '69 or '70. I never actually learned to play it and gave up trying until 1992, LOL.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
If you ever come to the Peterborough area Ive got Chinese bridges and genuine fender bridges in the shop.
We can okay with it and see what fits.

Maybe see if you can fond somebody local with a good stash of parts and start trying stuff and see what works.

I get parts from ebay, I try to find a Canadian buyer if I can. (otherwise it takes a long damn time to get here).

Nathan

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Ha. My first guitar was a Raven (Strat copy) back in 1983 or 84. I hated that cheese cutter. In Art 10 I splattered paint on it for a project. Good luck with doing this one the proper way....I sure didn't.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tnx for posting that Dave. I was going to do the same. lol.
(btw, I'm glad to hear that you're liking it. I'm liking yours too)

Welcome to the forum Jay.
As Dave stated, the parts on those old MIJ beauties are just a tad undersized to Fender spec.
Ravens were made by Matsumoku, so you have a good base to start with.
Except maybe that split in the back. Is the body solid otherwise?
Thanks for the feedback, yeah the body's okay- My wife thinks I'm nuts though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All I will say is "be careful" :) I recently picked up Laristotles mid 70's Mann Tele (MIJ lawsuit) and NOTHING is standard on this guitar. That includes the pickguard, bridge plate, humbucker is smaller than standard, the bridge single coil mounting is also different. So while everything looks the same, it's not. In my case I'm likely going to have both pups rewound by a local tech, and get a custom pickguard made to match the existing. I really love the neck on this guitar and I'm willing to put some time and money into it. Here's a link to his original thread.

edit - forgot to mention the string spacing is also a little narrower than usual.

Thank you for the feedback- I'm a little nervous to tell you the truth because of this. I have read that elsewhere as well.
I'll keep you posted as I go. Again, thanks for the feedback

NGD '75 MIJ FujiGen Tele

1 - 11 of 11 Posts