The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Les Paul Day. It took me by surprise, I was looking for a deluxe. I already have a good LP that is my number one. But, it was a 2012 Traditional GT. It has a new bone nut and Sanford Magnetics 44 pickups (full size hb's) and 50's wiring mod. You might have seen it on kijiji in Kitchener.
This one has a 50's size neck, my first, and Kluson Deluxe tuners. And speed knobs, which I love on a Les Paul.
It has a pea sized duzsh above the neck tone knob which is part of the reason this guitar was affordable. I am too old and ugly to start pointing out others imperfections.
Why you ask? Why a Les Paul when you need so many other types of guitars? The answer is Gold Top Traditional. I have a set of parameters I use to narrow my never-ending search for gear. It is narrowly defined as "one of each". I have a Strat sss, a Tele w. mini-hum in the neck, an SG, an Es335, a Les Paul, a Les Paul Special with p-90's, and a J-45.
The other criteria I invoke in times of GAS is it has to be in line with historical specifications. I'm not one for push-pull, robot, brass nut and lime green. Not a knock, just not my thing. It doesn't have to be exact, (goodbye $10,000), but close. It's a Gold Top just like the first iteration. It's my first full sized LP because my other is a Studio Standard, and the seller was close and very cool to deal with.
The neck is big. Now I know what 50's neck feels like. It's NP because I have big hands and my guitars are all different. It weighs more than my other axes, maybe 10 lbs, it has traditional weight relief (Swiss cheese?). Two piece back and (I've read) two piece rosewood fretboard. The pups are cool, they're low output pafs from a good shop in Moncton. One original 57 came with. Jury's out till next rehearsal. 50's wiring should be cool, dunno.
Anyways, super stoked to figure out what this axe has in it and I will report back.
I'll try to upload photos, but in the event I can't, just google Gibson LesPaul Traditional Gold Top 2012. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,751 Posts
You either have to use a pic hosting site and upload from there,
or with the membership (might just be gold) you can upload straight from your computer.

·
Registered
14,366 Posts
Cool--enjoy!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts