The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Fake IMO.
Headstock logo is misaligned,
Serial # Z is too large and also off,
Fender stamp on neck plate is just a touch too large.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Headstock with no black abs or wood around truss rod hole, no staggered holes on middle screw of back plate, ya it's a fake.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
There's a lot of reason to be suspicious about this one. Individually, they may not be a big deal as there is always some variation in models, but when put together it looks suspect.

One telltale sign is that there is usually a rosewood insert where the truss rod adjustment is made, which is missing from this guitar. An American Standard or Deluxe would also have the more modern string retainers, not the butterfly ones in the ad. Also, most modern American Fender guitars use the tuners with the two-pin screwless mounts, not the tuners shown in the ads. And lastly, an American Standard or Deluxe would also have a two-point trem, not the vintage-style ones with 6 screws.

·
Premium Member
8,544 Posts
giveaway for me just at a glance was noiseless pickups. a) I bet they arent b) if they are, what are they doing on a standard series. Also when was that colour pink last a USA colour?

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Not an expert on fakes by any means but it makes me wonder if the fake has that many obvious errors, why wouldn't the faker make sure it wasn't so obvious?

·
Registered
30 Posts
It could be that it's just too much effort to keep up to date, but with scams it's often preferable to be a little bit obvious.

That may seem counterintuitive, but think about it this way: by introducing obvious flaws, you're selecting for people who don't know better. The last thing a scammer wants is to get midway into a con before it falls apart -- i.e. find a prospective buyer who knows a lot but misses something in the listing, then realizes there's a flaw when going to pick the unit up. It's a waste of time, opens up the possibility of a conflict, and now gives an angry person more information about the scammer (e.g. meeting place, etc.).

That's why phishing emails are so obvious. They *want* people who know their way around computers etc. to stay well away.

I had a massive lightbulb moment when that was first explained to me.

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
I would like to see a close up of the pickup covers. The script for Fender Noiseless pickups appears to be in the right place.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Fake, absolutely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: colchar

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
the pre 2001 american strats had the dual string trees. They were better quality than the ones on that guitar. They are standard MIM trees ,or vintage on that pink axe .

·
Registered
141 Posts
i was just offered this guitar in a trade, the bridge, headstock. string trees, neck plate with out micro tilt and pick ups were suspect to me so I was going to post pictures but looks like someone beat me to it. Glad I found the thread, I texted the guy and asked him if it was an aftermarket neck, we will see what he responds.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
i was just offered this guitar in a trade, the bridge, headstock. string trees, neck plate with out micro tilt and pick ups were suspect to me so I was going to post pictures but looks like someone beat me to it. Glad I found the thread, I texted the guy and asked him if it was an aftermarket neck, we will see what he responds.
What guitar do you have that he wants ?
I'd probably flat out tell him his is a fake.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts