The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

A buddy I jam with has an older Yamaha Dave Navarro Sig Acoustic Electric. He had left it for I do not know how long out of the case and it has apparently dried out. I haven't seen it yet, but he said that the bridge is sinking (or something to that effect) because it dried out. I wish I had actually seen it to give you more info.

The reason I'm creating this thread is to see if there may be a safe way to rehumidify in a semi controlled environment (aka: my basement) with 45% - 50 % humidity? If the case is that I can hang it for a couple weeks or whatever in this environment to re-humidify, what precautions with things like string tension should I be aware of. Leave 'em, loosen 'em, or remove 'em? I know it's good to "relax" an electric if it's out of whack, but not sure with an acoustic. I can hang the guitar on the wall with no issue if that may be a question. I forgot to ask if he had a guitar sound hole humidifier, but I have one that can be used if he doesn't.

Any and all info on this type of situation is appreciated. Again keep in mind I haven't seen it yet. I can post more details if he brings it....possibly tomorrow.

Here's the model, I do not know the year:

Yamaha Yamaha LLX6DN Dave Navarro Signature Electro Acoustic Guitar | Yamaha Music London

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
I'd just let it hang on the wall for a month. If you're in a hurry, 2 weeks should be enough to get it back somewhat humidified again. I wouldn't back the strings off either, just tune it up and keep checking the tune daily. If it was dry, it will keep increasing (going sharp) about a half step a day. When the tuning stabilizes, you're back in action. :)

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd just let it hang on the wall for a month. If you're in a hurry, 2 weeks should be enough to get it back somewhat humidified again. I wouldn't back the strings off either, just tune it up and keep checking the tune daily. If it was dry, it will keep increasing (going sharp) about a half step a day. When the tuning stabilizes, you're back in action. :)
Thanks Dave. I guess I could of just texted you on this...hah.

That's kind of what I figured I should do. He hasn't played it in some time, so a month will be fine for him. Thanks. Let me know when you're coming by!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts