The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow enthusiasts,
I recently picked up an older Epi Les Paul standard in ebony finish. The previous owner had atrociously applied super glue to affix the pick up selector switch plate to the finish which had very bad run off marks. Long story short, I've stripped everything off and have resanded the finish back to a nice smooth with 1000 grit sp. Would one recommend I sand down even further perhaps to 600 grit prior to an over all application of clear coat? And if so, would one recommend a wipe on or spray type clear over the other? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO C 5+5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sniper - can you please clarify; did you strip the guitar back to bare wood - or did you just sand the glue off, back down to the finish? More detail would help with advice; as would a picture.

Great job on the Teles, Shoretyus!
In order to repair the super glue blemish around the pick up switch hole, I had to sand it down and in order to keep the finish otherwise level, I also sanded the face of the guitar past the clear coat. The gloss is now all gone to a satin finish.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO C 5+5 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
As long as you aren't completely through the topcoat, it can be buffed back out.

Gloss finishes need to be (wet) sanded and polished; they aren't mirror-like off the gun. Without seeing it, difficult to tell where you are at with it; if you've been sanding with 1000 grit only, I would suggest wet sanding it to 1500 then 2000 grit. Then use polishing compounds to bring the gloss back out. To get a perfectly scratch-free mirror finish, some sort of power buffer will need to be used. But you can get the shine to come back with compound and a rag.

·
Registered
127 Posts
if you are past the top coat, and into the sanding sealer, which contains silica, sand, then you just need to put on a top coat, the sealer coat cannot be buffed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts