The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
uncovered this old beauty.
Made in Japan. No serial number. 39" long. 14 " wide, less than 2" body.
Should the 'Mic1' and 'Mic 2' switches operate each pick up separately? Only 'Mic 1' seems to switch on.
They both physically slide back and forth from Off/On.
It plays well. Set up is a bit high.

Anyone know what it would like with a tremolo arm attached? Where I might locate an arm?

Any idea what wood they may have used for the neck and the fretboard?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
Pretty sure I used to have the same guitar. It is from the 1960s. My parents bought it for me at the House of Stein in Vancouver. It was not a great guitar. Now I wouldn't pay more than a couple hundred dollars for it. If I remember right the pickups were microphonic. I played it at a tryout for a local band with a Garnet full stack. The feedback was uncontrollable. I bought an SG shortly after that. My father kept the guitar. It was sold in a garage sale in the 1990's for ~$50. It was also missing the tremolo arm. Sorry if this disappoints you but mine was not a treasure. It was an OK guitar. It played OK but it wasn't usable at any volume.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty sure I used to have the same guitar. It is from the 1960s. My parents bought it for me at the House of Stein in Vancouver. It was not a great guitar. Now I wouldn't pay more than a couple hundred dollars for it. If I remember right the pickups were microphonic. I played it at a tryout for a local band with a Garnet full stack. The feedback was uncontrollable. I bought an SG shortly after that. My father kept the guitar. It was sold in a garage sale in the 1990's for ~$50. It was also missing the tremolo arm. Sorry if this disappoints you but mine was not a treasure. It was an OK guitar. It played OK but it wasn't usable at any volume.
Great! I was never at the House of Stein. Where was that located?
I bought my first sheet music downtown at Ward's Music.
Do you still have the SG?
I took this Raven to a luthier friend and he said most could not be played straight out of the box from the factory.
Design flaw with the neck that needs to be shimmed, as well as the bridge set up, and the electronics need to be sorted out. He is going to see what he can do with this old dawg.

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
Great! I was never at the House of Stein. Where was that located?
I bought my first sheet music downtown at Ward's Music.
Do you still have the SG?
I took this Raven to a luthier friend and he said most could not be played straight out of the box from the factory.
Design flaw with the neck that needs to be shimmed, as well as the bridge set up, and the electronics need to be sorted out. He is going to see what he can do with this old dawg.
House of Stein was an electronics retailer with two stores one downtown on Granville Street and one in New West. The MIJ SG is long gone. I traded it in on a Morris acoustic in 1972. Just sold the Morris a month ago. I used to go to Ward Music at least once a week. I think I bought the Morris at Ward Music but not sure. I bought a few guitars at San Francisco Pawnbrokers a block away from Ward Music.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts