The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read this morning that Rap was taking more and more place while Rock was no more successful except for well established groups ! The columnist was even suggesting (joking ?!) to newbies to sell their electrics !
My goodness !

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I read this morning that Rap was taking more and more place while Rock was no more successful except for well established groups ! The columnist was even suggesting (joking ?!) to newbies to sell their electrics !
My goodness !
Funny. I mentioned something along similar lines in another thread here earlier today. Rock is stuck and has been for a long time, rap is adapting and evolving but I don't think it's time to sell guitars just yet.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A friend of mine, a great melodist (playing slide as well as manouche style compositions as well as some adaptations) from France, sent a link to a song of a French group whom he qualified the music as a mix of Blues and Rap.

I hear no crude traditional rap there but rock or metal and singing. There is real music here. Well, if this piece represents rap new clothes, it is quite interesting.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
This isn't anything really new. Rap/Hip-Hop has been outselling Rock releases by A LOT for a looooong time now.

Quick - name a successful rock band that debuted in the last 10 years! Good luck. There are tons of bands that I'm into right now, but I know I'll never hear from them again, or they'll never become more successful than a couple club tours. If it's arena you're talking about, it's all bands that have been around for a while.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
This isn't anything really new. Rap/Hip-Hop has been outselling Rock releases by A LOT for a looooong time now.

Quick - name a successful rock band that debuted in the last 10 years! Good luck. There are tons of bands that I'm into right now, but I know I'll never hear from them again, or they'll never become more successful than a couple club tours. If it's arena you're talking about, it's all bands that have been around for a while.
I can just think of one. Those young guys that sound like Zeppelin seem to be doing ok, but I can't remember their name off hand :)

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I can just think of one. Those young guys that sound like Zeppelin seem to be doing ok, but I can't remember their name off hand :)
I think you just kinda verified his point.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
A friend of mine, a great melodist (playing slide as well as manouche style compositions as well as some adaptations) from France, sent a link to a song of a French group whom he qualified the music as a mix of Blues and Rap.

I hear no crude traditional rap there but rock or metal and singing. There is real music here. Well, if this piece represents rap new clothes, it is quite interesting.

I'm no expert, but this sounds like EDM (electronic dance music) to me.

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
My goodness !
I don't know why this would be a surprise. Kids have far less interest in rock than rap, and have for over a decade.
Even if its radio top-40 pop, chances are the song will have a dance/rap beat behind it or a "vs" or "feat." some rapper for part of the song.
the closest thing to a widely successful new rock band I can think of is Maroon 5, but that's a real stretch. but at least they have a guitarist and don't use turntables. :)

Music: Top 100 Songs | Billboard Hot 100 Chart
lots of rap, not much rock.

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
I think the Hot 100 has always had an absence of rock.
I believe that. But I doubt if you pick any popular national chart listing you'll find much rock on it though. But I'm always happy to be proven wrong :) Id like to believe rock isn't dead or irrelevant....or just another niche like "world music".
maybe we need to re-evaluate our definition of rock...maybe it just doesn't get any harder than ed Sheeran, Maroon 5 and Arcade Fire, before it gets something like an "Alt-" in front of it.
Even bands I really like, like All American Rejects and Treble charger and Fountains of Wayne, have kind of fizzled out. There will always be Foo Fighters I guess. At least I'm saving money on cd's/downloads.

·
Premium Member
13,026 Posts
Doesn't surprise me. Don't have to spend money either,.... except on your hat, shoes, clothes.........

:cool:

·
Registered
485 Posts
I don't think Rock is dead, but it is becoming niche. A friend of mine owns a record store, he says Rap outsells Rock by a lot, and those guys are willing to drop a S**T-LOAD of cash on an LP.

As much as I cannot stand Billy Talent (I'm thinking it was meant as an oxymoron) they sell well, and has it been 10yrs?

... oh God, if that's my argument, Rock IS dead!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I thought Afraid Of Heights was well done. More power-popish then what they typically do. There's hope yet.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh my God ! Reading your comments makes me feel depressed.
If Rock is going down, what about great instrumentals ?
Will my generation leave this world with my beloved acoustic melodies ?! Should we hope great contemporary instrumentals will survive besides Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Mozart, etc.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I don't think Rock is dead, but it is becoming niche. A friend of mine owns a record store, he says Rap outsells Rock by a lot, and those guys are willing to drop a S**T-LOAD of cash on an LP.

As much as I cannot stand Billy Talent (I'm thinking it was meant as an oxymoron) they sell well, and has it been 10yrs?

... oh God, if that's my argument, Rock IS dead!
Lol. Billy Talent has been around since 1999! Also, they don't sell well. They don't sell at all. Maroon 5 was also mentioned and while they're not what I would call a rock act, they are very successful, but again, they've been around 15+yrs.

Other than Foo Fighters, Killers, Arcade Fire, Kings of Leon, etc. I can't really think of any acts that are selling arena shows.

I got pretty excited for some homegrown bands like Hollerado, Fast Romantics, Sam Coffey and the Iron Lungs, etc., but they'll be club bands forever.

Actually, let's really get down to it - has anyone seen a rock band (we can loosen the description of rock to a live band playing instruments :p) that was formed post-2007 playing an arena show recently? I'm thinking Imagine Dragons, maaaaaybe the National. Who else?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
The National is still only just above club level in Vancouver. They are playing the Queen Elizabeth Theatre which has maybe 2000 seats. It is for two nights though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Rap can have the arenas and stadiums. I’d rather see a rock band in a club/theatre anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 71 Posts