The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 weeks ago my wife got in an accident and wrote off her van. It needed a little tune-up, but other than that had been a fine vehicle for us for the last 7 years. We were looking at replacing my heap of a car in the spring. Well, now my car has to keep going for a few more years. She hopped in my car this morning to leave for work and the brake pedel went to the floor and fluid puddled all around one of the rear tires - looks like another blown brake cylinder.

Our new car doesn't arrive until later in the week, I have to somehow get to work tomorrow as well as find a place that can look at my car ASAP! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

These last couple of weeks have been very frustrating!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Yea I've been in that situation myself and walking to work is out of the question (100K each way). Pulled up to a stop light once about 6:15 am and heard a clunk, when the light turned green I went to take off and the back tires were locked up. Appears a brake pad fell off and wedged itself. Had to find a place to fix it and someone to tow it. At 6:30 in the morning that's a challenge. Finally made it to work all fixed up by 11 am and it only cost me 350 with tow job plus all new drums and pads in the rear. I think I was lucky??
Anyway best of luck James...

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
this is where all those years on the national running team pays off eh?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhh yes ... :rockon:

My Jetta is out polluting the environment as we speak! My water pump is leaking! I top off the coolant every day. $400 PLUS to fix it AND I'm donating the car by the end of the month to a charity. I haven't decided what my new/old vehicle will be yet but I had better do it soon! :confused-smiley-010

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, $400 in rear brake work and my car should be back on the road for tomorow.

Pick up our new car tomorrow as well.

Back to the monthly payments. :mad:

·
Registered
255 Posts
F'n cars are a bloody money pit..You would think in this day and age cars would be built to last..It's a conspiracy I tell ya.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
alldz said:
Ahhhhhhhhhh yes ... :rockon:
My Jetta is out polluting the environment as we speak! My water pump is leaking! I top off the coolant every day. $400 PLUS to fix it AND I'm donating the car by the end of the month to a charity. I haven't decided what my new/old vehicle will be yet but I had better do it soon! :confused-smiley-010

...weird. everyone i know who has owned a volkswagon has had nothing but trouble. same with other expensive cars. i've only owned a honda civic, hyundai accent and, now, a toyota echo. nothing but trouble free driving.

*knocks on hood*

-dh

ps my toyota echo has massive cargo space!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Next time around thinking about Toyota, Corolla claims it gets 53 MPG on the highway. That would cut down the commute costs.. :smile:

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
The more complex the car, the more maintanece the car will require. In the end though, all cars are pieces of shit, and they will all break down. Calling a car more reliable than another car is like comparing turds. In the end they all stink. Cars are the only thing we spend massive cash on, and they are still disposable assets with limited life......................

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Accept2 said:
The more complex the car, the more maintanece the car will require. In the end though, all cars are pieces of shit, and they will all break down. Calling a car more reliable than another car is like comparing turds. In the end they all stink. Cars are the only thing we spend massive cash on, and they are still disposable assets with limited life......................
ain't that the truth!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Glad it's getting taken care of fairly quickly. My wife's car was having transmission problems this year. It was going to cost $2500 to have the transmission replaced. I decided to buy her a new car instead. We lucked out and got a 1 1/2 year old Chevy Impala with only 12000 km on it for $16000 instead of buying a brand new one. I ended up spending $2800 on the other car to give it to my daughter. Oh Well . At least I know it's in good, safe condition with all new brakes, tires and rebuilt tranny.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Corolla claims it gets 53 MPG on the highway
I had a new Corolla, trust me 42 to 45 is probably more accurate. Honda made a similar claim in 2001 with their civics, I own 2 of them, they get about 42 mpg at best.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts