The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
26541 - 26560 of 26706 Posts

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
If you ride a lot it's just a matter of time :)
I had an adventure over bars so bad I never did downhill again. Trails, sure, but nothing like I used to do. In fact, I sold that bike so that I wouldn’t even try. A week off work unpaid smartened me up.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
New helmet time @davetcan. Any time you crash and your helmet makes any impact with the ground, it's done it's job and gets a replacement. If you fall over on the lawn and hit your helmet it's okay, but hard surfaces moving at any speed, replacement time. For your safety down the road in case of a repeat endo and hitting the ground with your head. Helmets are like airbags that way. One collision usage.

·
Administrator
17,359 Posts
New helmet time @davetcan. Any time you crash and your helmet makes any impact with the ground, it's done it's job and gets a replacement. If you fall over on the lawn and hit your helmet it's okay, but hard surfaces moving at any speed, replacement time. For your safety down the road in case of a repeat endo and hitting the ground with your head. Helmets are like airbags that way. One collision usage.
yep. My doc is a veteran rider and already told me to dump it :)

It sure takes longer to heal these days.

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
I had an adventure over bars so bad I never did downhill again. Trails, sure, but nothing like I used to do. In fact, I sold that bike so that I wouldn’t even try. A week off work unpaid smartened me up.
My Buddy is pushing 50 and he stays in shape and rides hard around the lake we live at. He went on a big run and ended up going over the handlebars, he has a fancy watch that tracked him going around in circles lost for 20 minutes. He has had a wake up call!

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
My Buddy is pushing 50 and he stays in shape and rides hard around the lake we live at. He went on a big run and ended up going over the handlebars, he has a fancy watch that tracked him going around in circles lost for 20 minutes. He has had a wake up call!
He was "lost" as in disorientated for 20min??

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Concussed and wandering around, he had a really good helmet as well.
Yikes!! I've had my bell rung a few times... riding, hockey, horsing around, and I've blacked out for a couple of them. But never more than a few seconds.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I remember this. Can't believe it's been 15 years. I was working for the a large (Canadian) courier company at the time. I was the Regional Training Manager. Our delivery trucks couldn't get into Fort Erie for two days. Which means, we "failed" to deliver some premium (guaranteed time) packages. Every morning, there is a national conference call to discuss all failed premiums from the previous day and to understand why.
The President is rattling off the failed premiums across the country. Calgary?? Car accident, road closed. Winnipeg? Driver error. He got lost. Toronto? Traffic congestion. Fort Erie? Weather. Weather?? Yes, a snow storm. A snow storm?? In the middle of October?? Yes sir.. shut the whole lower part of the Peninsula off.
Here's our president sitting in his office about an hour away, enjoying typical Fall temps, and beautiful colours. I was only a bystander in the whole thing, so it was kinda funny, but awkward at the same time. I really felt for the District Manager to have to try explain it.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Today was an upsetting day at work . I met a man a few years ago. He was very happy and talkative like me even though he was in his 70s he still went back to school to become an rcw and he did but he wasn’t the same man I new back then. He slowly walked in hunched over a walker needing help just to sit down . You could tell he was off and he knew who I was and remembered my brother but couldn’t remember either of our names. Then his wife explained he’s just getting out of the hospital after suffering from a stroke . During our talk he asked “ your brother, his name is … and he works…” and I said yes and he went on about how nice of a young man he was and how he always enjoyed their conversations. When he got up from his table after I took away their used dishes I heard in a soft and quiet voice “ jared” then a little louder “jared!, your name is jared” and told me it took too long for him to remember. If there’s anything good to take away from this experience is that despite certain circumstances is that he still remembers who cares about him and I do hope I get to see him again.

·
Premium Member
9,825 Posts
Today was an upsetting day at work . I met a man a few years ago. He was very happy and talkative like me even though he was in his 70s he still went back to school to become an rcw and he did but he wasn’t the same man I new back then. He slowly walked in hunched over a walker needing help just to sit down . You could tell he was off and he knew who I was and remembered my brother but couldn’t remember either of our names. Then his wife explained he’s just getting out of the hospital after suffering from a stroke . During our talk he asked “ your brother, his name is … and he works…” and I said yes and he went on about how nice of a young man he was and how he always enjoyed their conversations. When he got up from his table after I took away their used dishes I heard in a soft and quiet voice “ jared” then a little louder “jared!, your name is jared” and told me it took too long for him to remember. If there’s anything good to take away from this experience is that despite certain circumstances is that he still remembers who cares about him and I do hope I get to see him again.
Im getting forgetful, I grasp for words and names, and I’m not 60 yet. Sigh.

·
Registered
15,866 Posts
Bicycles?

26541 - 26560 of 26706 Posts