The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

23041 - 23060 of 23174 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,726 Posts
Measure distance? By time. "How far is it from here to there?" 'About 3 hrs.' Not too sure if height is actual distance.
My in laws from out in the country have another unit of measurement...they say things like “...to get to the store, you turn and left and drive a piece “.
a piece of what? No one knows.

·
Registered
15,182 Posts
My in laws from out in the country have another unit of measurement...they say things like “...to get to the store, you turn and left and drive a piece “.
Turn at the yellow house that's now painted brown and then drive until you see the old barn with a bull in the pasture. If you get to John's place you've gone to far......watch out for the dog. A piece? That's between about 15 to 20 minutes and around an hour. It it's less than 15 minutes it's a bit or a little bit. More than an hr is a while.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I live in a small town, but I grew up in an even smaller one... one of Mum's friends used "a spell" in just about any context.

Go down the road a spell, he's had a spell of a cough for days, that's not worth a spell.

I couldn't keep track. Was it distance, time, a monetary value??

23041 - 23060 of 23174 Posts