The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

21741 - 21760 of 21979 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,723 Posts
completely false analogy. streams of urine do not behave in any way similar to vapor that comes from your mouth when you breathe. a mask, or other face covering (most places accept face coverings that are not medical masks) do not behave the way pants do. nice try, but a total fail. care to try again, but with more accuracy next time?
Actually, it's almost perfect. The masks the general public is wearing aren't to protect the wearer, they're to protect those all around them. The virus doesn't float thru the air as individual molecules, it travels in larger drops of water - aerosol, not vapour. The mask filters outgoing aerosol.

But you have been told this approximately 9 kazillion times by now, like the rest of us. Denial, not just a river in Egypt.

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
But you have been told this approximately 9 kazillion times by now, like the rest of us.
Some people don't understand the meaning of the word "analogy". Don't sweat it, education isn't for everyone.

Here's another one...

You're feeling frisky and that hot girl just invited you to her place for some fun. She also told you she has AIDS. You now have 3 choices.
  1. Go have your fun riding bareback and gamble the odds
  2. Go have your fun, but bring protection to lessen the risk
  3. Stay away and have no part of it
With the virus you have the same 3 choices, it's just the protection is over your face. Which one has the least risk? Which one has the most? Bareface, mask, distancing...

Combining safety procedures is always best. Like cars, wearing a seatbelt saves lives. Having airbags saves lives. Wearing a seatbelt in a car with air bags saves exponentially more lives than the combination of each individual measure adds up to. Add to that speed limits and driving to the conditions, then add being aware and alert, and you have a system that gets better and better.

·
Registered
24,719 Posts
Watching someone piss their pants to prove a point is funny though.
There's a great scene in the Fellini film "Amarcord" where the family takes the crazy uncle out from the asylum for a refreshing day trip in the country. As the horse-drawn wagon ambles along down a scenic country road lined with Lombardy poplars, and the family is chatting away, there is a request to stop, and the uncle and one of the other family members walk over to the side of the road to do their business. Urine humour ensues. Starts just after the 5:30 mark.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
Actually, it's almost perfect. The masks the general public is wearing aren't to protect the wearer, they're to protect those all around them. The virus doesn't float thru the air as individual molecules, it travels in larger drops of water - aerosol, not vapour. The mask filters outgoing aerosol.

But you have been told this approximately 9 kazillion times by now, like the rest of us. Denial, not just a river in Egypt.

i'll give you another piece of logic everyone overlooks:

if lockdowns were effective, why do we need to do them again?

if they were not effective, what is the point of doing them again?

·
Premium Member
3,069 Posts
Lockdowns probably were effective....in reducing transmission rates in an effort to allow medical services to keep up with demand.

It would probably help in hard hit areas again but that also has to be weighed against the economic devastation that would cause.

·
Registered
9,708 Posts

i'll give you another piece of logic everyone overlooks:

if lockdowns were effective, why do we need to do them again?

if they were not effective, what is the point of doing them again?
The boat always had too many leaks.

As an exercise I went back to the start of the Coronavirus thread in the Political Forum today. It's amazing how little anyone knew about the virus 10 months ago. Statements like "Give it two weeks and it'll be over", and "I can't imagine ever wearing a mask in Walmart". I remember believing that a 2 week lockdown was gonna break the virus. Then you start reading about all the international flights still taking place and how PSWs are working at 4 different homes every day and how grocery clerks are spreading it.

Too many holes in the boat ..................

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
The boat always had too many leaks.

As an exercise I went back to the start of the Coronavirus thread in the Political Forum today. It's amazing how little anyone knew about the virus 10 months ago. Statements like "Give it two weeks and it'll be over", and "I can't imagine ever wearing a mask in Walmart". I remember believing that a 2 week lockdown was gonna break the virus. Then you start reading about all the international flights still taking place and how PSWs are working at 4 different homes every day and how grocery clerks are spreading it.

Too many holes in the boat ..................
Additional anecdotal evidence.

During the cruise ship fiasco it was reported that the air handling systems help spread the virus on board ships. There is not adequate filtration in the systems and they spread air throughout the ship. The filters are meant for large dust particles and not much else. Much like the ones in a furnace.

In another episode was an infected person sitting in a restaurant (in Italy if memory serves me correct, but it may have been some Asian country) under the air intake of the AC unit. Almost every customer came down with Covid, yet none of the staff, who wore masks, got it.....also shows that contact tracing sometimes pans out.

21741 - 21760 of 21979 Posts