The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For an amp that's modeled after Dimebag's sound, this amp's distortion is pretty weak. The Ibanez Tone blaster next to it had better distorion but it was so fuzzy. *Changes title a bit*. Both amps had enough gain to get you something in the rock to hard rock range but the tone was lacking. The Tone Blaster had a hell of a lot more features and that was good but with the Randall you could change your sound quite a bit. What's the difference between a passive and active EQ? *Changes title again*. Im still waiting for the new G3 series with the MOSFAT tube power circut but I dont know how much that will change the distorion (maybe they'd upgrade it?). The MTS series is what Im waiting to try (3 weeks untill they get em in). You can get a 3 channel head and you get to choose the channel modules. Me personally will probably go with Clean, rectified and ultra lead. Damn I cant wait to try that out. Each channel is driven by 2 tubes (I forget what kind. The small stubby ones that put out assloads of gain) and features an independant EQ for each channel. Im also waiting to try out the Crate GT 3500 (AKA the Shockwave). They call it the solid state rectifier because of its loads of distortion and you can tweak that to whatever sound you want. 350 watts of solid state power. THere's a deal to be had in Truro where you can get the half stack for 1K. My only problem with it is that you get 220 watts with 4 ohms, 110 at 8 ohms and the full 350 watts at 2. Better pick up two of those 4 ohm cabs and paralel em. I still gotta try out two of the heads Im talking about in here but from what I've heard, they're damn great. Now all I gotta do is test em and write a follow-up review. Damn that's gonna be fun. I may edit this for paragraph sake.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Another haligonian

Hey I'm in Halifax as well....know anyone who's got a fender Vibroverb re-issue or vintage for sale ?? (besides Musicstop)

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
...to answer the question from your rant, the difference between active and passive eq is, with and active eq, you can boost or attenuate (cut) different frequencies, where with a passive circuit you can only attenuate.

The eq's normally seen in "vintage style" guitar amps are the passive type.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts