The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember hearing a ss head/cab setup many moons ago & thought it sounded pretty good at the time. Marshall-flavored with an extra helping of gain, if memory serves.Haven't heard one since.

Fast forward to the present & see that they have a coupla tube lines out, which get mostly positive reviews & so I reel in one of these:

http://www.randallamplifiers.com/products/amplifiers/tube/images/zoom_rh50t.jpg

Anyone have any experience with a Randall & in particular, the RH50T ?

·
Registered
872 Posts
I have never played through that head but I do own a Randall. It's a late 80's or early 90's RG80-112SC SS combo loaded with a celestion G12H100. I've had it for about ten years and I'll never sell it. The thing sounds good enough for me and its built like a tank.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rumble_b said:
I have never played through that head but I do own a Randall. It's a late 80's or early 90's RG80-112SC SS combo loaded with a celestion G12H100. I've had it for about ten years and I'll never sell it. The thing sounds good enough for me and its built like a tank.
Read lotsa good things about the RG80 & Randall's ss amps in general.

And their modular mts amps seem to sell their share, but there's not a lot of info on the rh50 head & it's counterpart the rg50tc combo. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
I used to have an RG100ES-XP. Excellent amp. Very well made and very reliable. I just didnt like that the footswitch used a different type of plug............

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Accept2 said:
I used to have an RG100ES-XP. Excellent amp. Very well made and very reliable.
Randalls definitely have a mostly reliable history, or so I've read. Good to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have a randall rg100sc. I paid about $420 canadian dollars for it new. I totally regret it now simply because I think only the high gain channel is good. the clean is meh and especially if you like blues it's quite a dull sound and the overdrive channel isn't worth using. If I could go back I wouldn't buy it again. However, I should mention I play an epiphone les paul and they're known for having really bad pickups so that may be why the clean sound is so disappointing. In general I think if someone bought it wanting to sound like dimebag they wouldn't be disappointed since that aspect of the tone is there. I however mostly like mellower stuff and got it because I thought it would be a good all rounder (silly me..) and at the time I hadn't yet discovered all the smaller shops that sell the good non-name brand stuff around where I live.

my 2c

edit: I've had absolutely no reliability issues with it however. built like a tank.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I_cant_play said:
I have a randall rg100sc. totally regret it now simply because I think only the high gain channel is good. the clean is meh and especially if you like blues it's quite a dull sound and the overdrive channel isn't worth using. my 2c

edit: I've had absolutely no reliability issues with it however. built like a tank.
I hear ya. Randall's solid state amps seem geared towards mostly metal tones. Which is why I went for one of their tube heads, which is said to have a pretty good clean channel. So even the od/dist tones aren't to my liking, I can always try different flavors using pedals into the clean channel.

Thanks for your insight.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have just received my new pickups (bareknuckle mules) which are a vintage PAF and are gonna go into the epi lp I previously mentioned. once they're installed I'll let you know if my oppinion of the amp changes. it may be a week or so till I have them installed.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Electric I said:
Remember hearing a ss head/cab setup many moons ago & thought it sounded pretty good at the time. Marshall-flavored with an extra helping of gain, if memory serves.Haven't heard one since.

Fast forward to the present & see that they have a coupla tube lines out, which get mostly positive reviews & so I reel in one of these:

http://www.randallamplifiers.com/products/amplifiers/tube/images/zoom_rh50t.jpg

Anyone have any experience with a Randall & in particular, the RH50T ?
it sucks. weak gain.

·
Registered
300 Posts
well I just got the guitar back from the shop (after almost 2 weeks :( and I can tell you the biggest improvement is in the clean channel. the second "classic rock" overdrive channel sounds better but not that great. so yeah for the amp I would say the heavy distortion is as good as you'd expect from a randall amp and the clean is very usable. however I do think there are better options out there for the money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts