The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a harness to put in a 335 style guitar for a forum member and "stuffed" it into the guitar today.

The pots were stamped "Gibson" and were from a harness that he had in his drawer of parts for quite some time. The remainder of the harness was new.

I tested the pots before soldering them up and then again just before stuffing them into the guitar. Nothing seemed unusual...or possibly I missed it

After completing everything (including the stuffing), I found that the volume pot on the neck pickup went to the full level of loudness and then totally cut out within the last few degrees of the rotation.
Rotate the volume knob backwards through those few degrees and it is fine again.
I rotated the knob back and forth many times...no luck with changing anything.

Unless there is a very simple fix, the owner has decided to leave it for now.
Replacing it is a fair amount of work.

Has anyone else ever experienced this with a pot?
...I'm betting that @mhammer has run into this at some point.

I'm assuming that the pot wiper 'floats up' over some grunge or something?

Cheers

Dave

L

·
0 Posts
I'm assuming that the pot wiper 'floats up' over some grunge or something?
This is my guitar that Dave's talking about.
I'm hoping that it is a 'crud' build up that I may be able to dissolve with some DeOxit?

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
Man I know; running out of pot is the worst.

...seriously tho could just be dirty. Or the end of the carbon track is worn away. Won't know till you try cleanin it.

Reactions: greco

·
Registered
11,967 Posts
Who invited you? ...FFS!

I spent most of this morning stuffing this ship into the bottle (which, BTW, you can't see through) and this particular one fought me all the way. I won!
Haha!

Nothing worse than pinning up a project and something isn't/doesn't work.
I was suprised when the HSS Strat came together that everything was good to go.

It's nice starting out with new components though.
I'm getting better at soldering too. :)

Sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

·
Registered
24,719 Posts
I think Granny got it right. That makes it a prime candidate for Stabilant 22 to augment the resistive strip. If you bring the pot/s with you when you next come to Ottawa, I'll be happy to treat them. The likelihood of success, however, will be a function of how worn away the resistive strip is.

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you bring the pot/s with you when you next come to Ottawa, I'll be happy to treat them.
Thanks very much for the offer Mark.

This guitar is owned by @laristotle and I think he plans to try and clean the pot.
I will be returning the guitar to him this Wednesday. Maybe he can post the results of his attempt to repair it (by cleaning) as an update in this thread.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Interesting I just had a similar problem that DeOxit fixed. My thread; https://guitarscanada.com/index.php?threads/funky-pot.200257/#post-2019521

I had a cleaning cap from StewMac but there weren't any threads available to screw into above the pickguard. If you have the threads available on the 335 this might be a good option.

Pot Cleaning Cap | stewmac.com

**If you go the Deoxit/cap route make sure to cover everything with papertowel and maybe do it outside. Only a small portion of the fluid goes down the shaft (What?) the rest sprays everywhere.

L

·
0 Posts
I have a small quantity of DeOxit in a glass container that I slowly sprayed from a friend's supply.
I use a syringe for application.
As for the spray, I made this years ago for the purpose.
Haven't tried it yet, since I use the syringe.

P1060851.JPG

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I have a small quantity of DeOxit in a glass container that I slowly sprayed from a friend's supply.
I use a syringe for application.
As for the spray, I made this years ago for the purpose.
Haven't tried it yet, since I use the syringe.

View attachment 178585

Yup same concept. Looks like it’ll work for the other kind of pot too :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts